SIXTEEN

PARK JIMIN

Tossing and turning around on the bed, I realised that it was close to morning and yet, I couldn't even fall asleep. I swear that a moment ago, I was totally drained out but who knows that after that small, little incident, I became awake as hell.

Strangely, there was this really weird feeling that is sending butterflies to my stomach and churning my heart, but I've just not yet gather enough evidence to conclude that that's because of it.

My fingers trailed to my lips unconsciously, and there again, I felt my heart beating faster.

No way, it couldn't be her. I'm still mad at her and her officer friend.

I have been convincing myself that that's the case for the past few hours but as I shut my eyes, the scenario of the kiss was stuck on replay.

Feeling troubled, I grabbed my phone off the desk and opened my KakaoTalk once more.

I mean, what are friends for anyway?

---

KIM DONGHYUN

"Sorry sir, you're not allowed to enter,"

"Why?", was all Jungkook could choke out, as his mind filled with a succession of horrible outcomes, each worse than the last.

"You must wait outside or in the waiting room," the nurse said in an educated but clipped tone and gestured to where she was talking about.

"No, let me in. Please, I need to see him,"
"Dr. Kim,"

I glanced up at the nurse who was seeking my help after successive failures in holding Jungkook back from the operating theatre.

"Byul-ssi, you head in first and get ready. Just give me some moment,"

With that, I gestured her in before grabbing onto Jungkook's arm and forcing him down onto the chairs. I watched as he slumped back dejectedly in one of the hard plastic chairs and buried his face in his hands.

"Jungkook-ssi, just bear with us for a short moment alright?", I searched his eyes, told him and gave a comforting pat on his shoulder.

"I need to go in now, so be good. Stay here and wait for me," I ruffled his hair and began stepping away from him.

"Please", I felt him tugging onto my coat just as I was about to leave.

"Save him,"

---

"Patient, Jeon Jongsuk, 12 years old male. Current history of leukemia. SpO2 93% on 4L nasal cannula. Was alright throughout the day until code blue was activated at 0230 hours. Patient was discovered without his nasal prongs on and was unconscious by then," Byul read out the report as we all gathered to examine the CT scan that was carried out tentatively.

"We managed to resuscitate the patient but now, there's another problem,"

Dr. Kwon, the head of the pediatrics department pointed his laser at the results.

"His heart worked too much in the midst of fighting for air and hence, there's a rupture here, over at the aorta,"

I frowned upon receiving the news.

"And now, the only way out is to operate his heart,"
"Then doesn't it mean that the chances of survival is only at 20-80?"
"Unfortunately, yes,"

---

Two hours. Two bloody hours have passed and yet, we were still not done with the operation.