TWENTY TWO

PARK JIMIN

"Happy birthday,"

I held my hands on my cheeks and sneaked a laughter at myself as I stood outside the apartment, waiting for the lift to arrive. It was the day after already and right now, I am on my way to work. When the lift arrived at my level, I stepped in and raised my hand to press the button to the ground floor, my eyes not leaving the bracelet which was well secured around my wrist.

"That's Dooly, your icon", I recalled what she had said to me and studying the cute little dinosaur charm which was hanging off from the bracelet, I couldn't hide my smile.

Although I have never seen this character before, it was still interesting how Donghyun related its resemblance to me. I stared at it again and let my fingers linger around it. Puffing up my cheeks, I attempted to mimic its expression, only then to burst out into fits of laughter at my own childish act.

"Hyung, are you even listening to me?"

I had an inner happiness, one utterly independent of the outside world and I smiled like it burst from within instead of being worn like an obligation in the way others did. It was to the extent that I didn't even notice that there was someone else occupying the same space as me.

"HYUNG!", the person raised his voice and it was only then did I realise his existence.

"Oh, Ji-woon-ah," my eyes darted to his and I lightly slapped my cheeks, psyching myself up to snap out of those thoughts.

With his eyebrow raised, Ji-woon shot me a weird glance before he said to me,

"I need a ride to school,"
"Ok",

He continued to eye me suspiciously.

"By the way, what were you smiling at just now? And... What is this?", he held up my wrist and started questioning.

The embarrassment of the whole ordeal made me look down at my feet but fortunately, the lift reached the lobby just then. I hastened my pace once I stepped out of it and headed towards the direction of the carpark with Ji-woon tailing after me.

"Psssttt. Stay there, my son,"

To have to reach the carpark, I would have to make a turn at the security guard post. The ahjusshi's call made me halt in my steps and I looked at him curiously. In his small little post, he casually brought his mug to his mouth, took a sip from his morning coffee, before turning his monitor screen towards me.

"Target's approaching", he directed my gaze to where his finger was pointing at.

Scrutinizing up close, the footage only shows a lady standing in the lift and I cocked up my brows at him.

"Why are you showing me this?"
"BAAMMM,"

He pushed up his spectacles to the bridge of his nose and threw a flat smirk at me. In the meantime, Ji-woon had join in along beside me and checking out the footage too, he knew at once what the ahjusshi was trying to get at. His arm swung around my shoulders instantly and pulling me close to him, he whispered into my ears,

"On a second thought, probably the public transport would be more environmentally friendly. So, thanks for the offer hyung, but I guess I will make a pass for it,"

He loosened his grip around me and giving me a pat on my shoulder, he stepped away from me and sauntered out of the entrance. My mouth gaped open at his sudden reaction but just as I turned my attention back to the ahjusshi, the door of the lift opened.

"Now, seize the opportunity, son", the ahjusshi said to me quickly before taking the chance to call her over,

"Good morning Dr. Kim,"