SAY THE NAME

KIM DONGHYUN

He led the way as I followed behind his steps, out to the garden.

It has been a week since I entered the hospital and I noticed that the grass to the garden was finally mown, so short that the ground showed through. The moss has been scuffed, rolling away from the soil like a carpet, its once strong greens yellowing now.

I stood back, supposedly to be satisfied with this works, but as I saw his steps halting in front of me, my mind was brought back to focus on the confrontation that we might share in a moment's time. Disappointed yet angry, I closed my eyes and felt the pain piercing through my heart once again.

He had his back against me still as he started talking.

"'Death on the table', was that what you gained from your medicine course back in America?", he hissed and showed no mercy with his words as soon as he opened that mouth of his.

It slapped me hard on the face but knowing him for the past twenty-three years of my life, I was just plain stupid to think that he would have changed for the better.

Tears threatened to fall and I stood there absently, unable to do
anything until I finally managed to calm down.

"Mr Kim", I addressed him emotionlessly,

"What you have just said may be true but you... You are one who definitely have no right to say that to me. Don't forget, y-you...", I swallowed hard,

"You let that happen once yourself,"

Words flew from my mouth that I never thought I'd even think, let alone say out loud. I frantically tried to wipe my tears but I couldn't hold back my feelings. No matter how much I wipe them away, the torrent of tears kept coming.

"It seems like you have not gotten over him," he trailed and finally, he twirled around to face me.

Fighting back my tears, I met his gaze and I knew instantly from the look in his eyes that they'd hit their mark.

"Kim Myungsoo, that young man,"

I pressed my lips together and bit into my bottom lips so hard that soon after, I could even taste the metallic tang of blood in my mouth.

This was exactly how I felt now - Trying to remember how to breathe, unable to speak, totally stunned as the name bounced around inside my skull.

But there he stood, looking at me, distain pouring from his gaze and body language.

"Sometimes, you've got to learn that things don't always work out the way you planned. No matter what, there will always be this mental struggle you will have to go head on someday,"

He casts his eyes to the ground and his voice softens after which.

"Hyunnie-ah, come home someday, alright?"

Pangs of guilt tore up in my chest but there was so much hatred in my eyes and remorse afterwards.

The first time I believed it was the last, so sorry were they. But it wasn't, it was barely a warm up act for what was to come. I understood it far better now and they were the only ones I could vent my rage on.

"Mr Kim", I said once again,

"Please leave me alone,"
"Hyunnie-ah-"

"Chebal," I screamed at the top of my lungs.

It wasn't that I didn't try.

After that particular incident, I tried to be more loveable, more cute, more servile, but it all made no difference. I, wasn't the cause of my own unrestrained anger. They were to blame but in the process, I tried to be more forgiving, I did. I convinced myself that I still love them but I just couldn't function with them in my life anymore.