TWENTY NINE

KIM DONGHYUN

Doing as told, I flipped the pages of the file gingerly. Within a minute or so, I found my eyes starting to widen as I scanned through the details once more before everything started to sink in.

This is too much of a coincidence...

With a swat, I shut the file close after I was done reading it and bit hard into my bottom lips. Jungkook on the other hand, had a calm expression on his face as he sat across me but shortly after, he shifted himself in a little and pulled away the case file from my hands.

With a sigh, he said,

"I don't know if this is fate or what but Hyunnie-ah, everything have been such a coincidence that even I, couldn't bring myself to believe this,"

He stared back at the file in his hands, seeming rather guilty before he then scratched his forehead uneasily.

"I am extremely sorry for your loss", after clearing his throat, he told me in a croaked voice and I had to hold in to my breath.

I understood that by that, he had meant Myungsoo, but that accident, it wasn't even his fault. Who would have thought of that bad omen beforehand? And even so, Myungsoo didn't exactly die because of this. As a matter of fact, Jungkook was merely performing his job as a police officer and if there's anything or anyone to be blamed, it would have been just me, my parents and even Myungsoo himself.

Therefore, after shutting my eyes to realign my train of thoughts, I reopened them and slouched towards Jungkook, reaching for his hands and holding them in mine.

"Jeon Jungkook, why is it that whenever I'm seeing you, you are always apologizing to me?", I Iaughed,

"For all I know, you have been doing the right things all along. I would really expect you to scratch that sadistic mindset of yours and get on with life. And also, stop making me feel bad with these incessant apologies, 'cos honestly speaking, sometimes in contrast, I feel like I was more of a jinx to you..."
"Ani-ya,"

"Yah, let me finish", I held up my hand to stop him and this made him smile a little.

"Although recently, there have been a rollercoaster of events and dramas I would describe them as, but overall, it was really great knowing you, Officer Jeon. Starting from the first day I actually met you here in Seoul as soon as I arrived, these adventures you have put me through, I have never once regret them. In fact, you filled my life up with jams,"

As soon as I said that, I noticed Jungkook breaking into soft cackles and I too, joined in along with him. This lasted for a short moment and when the voices died down, he started inching towards me. His expression turned serious as he then placed the palm of his hand gently on my cheek.

"Hyunnie-ah, you have to stop doing this to me otherwise,I will really miss you a lot,"

This time, he had said it with such solemnity and he even had his head hung low.

"What do you mean? We just live levels apart from each other,"
"I will leaving by the end of this week,"

I flinched at his words and bringing his hands down from my cheeks, I questioned him,

"Alright, what's going on now? What had I miss?"

With his eyebrows furrowed, Jungkook then went on explaining to me how he had gotten his promotion and is now required to fly to America to undergo some training course.

"This is bad. I have no idea how am I going to survive there because for pete's sake, my vocabulary range is currently at just 'pardon' and 'july'. I managed to pick those up from Dr. Kim Namjoon when he decided to give me an impromptu two-minutes English lesson while I was waiting for you up here,"