TWENTY ONE

KIM DONGHYUN

"There. This was the CCTV footage that was retrieved from the ward the other day,"

As we sat down in a row in the interrogation room, Jinyoung stood by a mini television, fiddling with the remote. In front of us, the video soon started playing and he headed towards the back to dim the lights.

I sat down with my teeth clenched. The footage first showed Jongsuk sleeping soundly on his bed before what seems like a staff of ours entered the room about a minute after. He was dressed in a white coat and had a mask over his mouth. Slowly, he approached Jongsuk's bed but as I watched on, my grip tightened on the sides of the chair.

Turning his head around suspiciously to confirm that coast was clear, his hands then trailed to Jongsuk's nasal cannula and slowly, he removed it.

"What the fu-,"

"Calm down", Jimin reached for my hand and held me back just as I was about to lunge at the screen.

From the corners of my eyes, I could see Jungkook fuming as well but as an officer, he was professional enough to not let himself bring his feelings into the case.

And, that was not all. From the footage, we saw Jongsuk clearly struggling on the bed while widening his eyes at the assassin, but giving him a sinister smile, that creep only stood there and watched Jongsuk suffered, desperately fighting for air until he finally lost consciousness.

My heart sank at the sight while Jungkook on the other hand, remained calm and composed.

"Pause it right there", he instructed Jinyoung.

"Now, zoom in. I want to take a clear look at that bastard's face,"

The moment Jinyoung did so, all of us leaned in and scrutinized the image.

"I don't remember seeing him around in the hospital", Jimin shook his head.

"And he's definitely not in the Pediatrics Team. I can swear", I said firmly, waiting for Jungkook's response.

He had his hand rested on his forehead and with a look of dismay, he got up from his chair. He was standing by the door, ready to leave when he turned back and told the officer,

"Jinyoung-ssi, screenshot that and put him on the WANTED list", he paused and continued,

"He's GD, T.O.P's right hand man,"

---

"Donghyun-ssi, can I speak to you for a second?"

I had stayed a little while longer to facilitate the process of explaining Jongsuk's death report to all but after I was done, Jungkook called out after me.

"This. I want to return this to you," he took my hand, opened up my palm and placed the item on it.

"Eomma said that it was yours in the first place", he smiled and as I stared at the item in my hand, I realised that it was that coin.

That supposedly 'lucky' penny, he had called.

"Thanks", I gave Jungkook a solemn look and turning my body around, I was in time to leave when he asked me,

"Donghyun-ssi, can we fix another date?"

I looked back at him, surprised. I couldn't believe that he was still in the mood for a date but aware of what I was thinking in my mind, Jungkook shook his head briefly and explained.

"Don't get me wrong. I just lost one of my loved one and I'm afraid of losing another", he took my hands in his all of a sudden.

"And since I got you into this mess, it's my responsibility to protect you now. I have a bad feeling that those guys will come after you next", he frowned.