Four

Four

Nadia smiled as she looked at him, intently focused on doing something to the side of the concrete stairs in front of him. He held the sharpie tightly, moving it along the surface in smooth strokes.

"There, it's done," he said, turning and smiling proudly at her.

She craned her neck to see what he was referring to but he stood in the way, blocking her view.

"Let me see it, Jackson."

But he shook his head, causing her to frown.

"Why not?" she asked, her frown deepening slightly.

"Because," he replied, taking two steps towards her and still blocking her view, "it's missing something."

"And what's that?" she asked. He took one more step towards her and stood close to her, so close that their noses would touch if she was just a bit taller. But to compensate for her height, he bent his knees slightly and looked her in the eyes.

"Your reply."

As she looked at him with a confused expression, he moved aside and finally showed her what he had been up to. She walked towards the wall, where he had drawn two small figures; a guy and a girl. She smiled as she passed her fingers over the drawing before looking under it, where he had written a simple question:

Will you go out with me? - J

She had been dreaming about the day when she'd get the chance to be with him after having a crush on him for a long time. And when it had actually happened, she froze and couldn't react.

"Is that a no then?" she heard him ask from behind. She blinked several times and returned to reality before turning to face him. She walked to him and took the sharpie from him, returning to the wall to write her reply:

Yes - N

After that, she drew a heart around his drawing and wrote J&N beside it.

When she moved and allowed him to see it, his face lit up with the brightest smile she had ever seen. It was so beautiful that she couldn't help but to smile too.

"Is that your final answer?" he asked, walking towards her. Nadia nodded her head.

"Yes."

She almost couldn't finish her sentence as he wrapped his arms around her and lifted her off the ground. A shriek escaped her lips at the sudden gesture before he spun them around. They both laughed as they went around in several circles before he put her back down.

"I'm so happy that you said yes, Nadia," he told her, placing his hand gently on her cheek. She smiled at his words.

They stayed like that for a few moments before he dropped his hand to hold hers.

"I have something to show you," he said.

"What is it?" Nadia asked. He smiled and shook his head.

"You'll know when we get there."

She smiled as he pulled her along with him towards his car. He opened the door for her and she got in before he walked to the driver's side.

As he was driving, she looked around and suddenly, the scenery looked different. She looked around and when she saw him behind the steering wheel, she realized that his clothes had changed to what he was wearing on the night of the crash. Nadia looked down and the same had happened to her.

Knowing what was about to happen, she broke the silence.

"Jackson, you need to stop the car."

"Why? We're almost there," he replied.

"Please stop the car."

"We'll be there soon, stop worrying."

She tried to open her door but before she could even reach the handle, the car which crashed into theirs that night, swerved into their lane and the last thing she saw before she woke up was bright headlights.

Nadia sat up in her bed, breathing rapidly. The door to her room swung open and her parents rushed in, dressed in their pajamas.

"Are you alright? We heard screaming."

She didn't realize that one of them had said something because the only thing on her mind was Jackson and the cruel way he had left this world.

Tears formed around her eyes and fell effortlessly. The words of her parents' were blocked out by the tears as she cried, muttering his name over and over again.

---

And that was how she ended up in a psychiatrist's office.

Nadia looked around the small office space, from the moss green wallpaper to the brown furniture sprawled around the office. The door opened and she turned her head to find a blonde woman who looked to be around the same age as her mother, smiling at her.

"Morning Nadia," she said, closing the door behind her and walking towards a leather chair. She sat down and reached across a glass center table to pick up what looked like a clipboard.

"Morning," Nadia managed to reply, earning a small smile from her.

"My name is Elisa Reitman and I'll be your psychologist. You can call me Elisa if you'd like and please, talk to me freely. I'm only here to help and not to judge, alright?" Nadia nodded her head and the psychologist looked down at her clipboard.

"So I see here that you've been having a reoccurring dream. Would you like to describe it to me?" she asked. Nadia slowly nodded her head and attempted to tell her. But she couldn't get far before she felt herself choking on tears. Elisa reached beside her and grabbed a box of tissues, handing them to her.

"It's okay, just take your time," she told her reassuringly.

Nadia remained silent for a few moments, trying to recollect herself. And when she felt like she could continue, she tried to continue. But as she was describing the dream to her, she broke down again.

"Would you like to stop for today?" Elisa asked. 

Nadia nodded her head.

"I'll see you next week for our next session. Until then, take care."

* * *

A/N:

I realize that the conversation she had with her psychologist is probably not what actually happens when someone goes to a therapist. But since I've never actually experienced something like that myself, the only thing I can do is make it up. After all, this is a fictional story.

But, I still hope you enjoyed this chapter!

~candysweet101

[edited - 2019/06/27]