Seven

Seven

Nadia looked out of the window of the classroom as her mind blocked off the lecture and returned to the hospital room with the girl and boy.

She wondered as she remembered, what it would have been like if she had been the one in bed. 

Who would be sitting beside her and crying out to her?

When she felt a tap on her shoulder, she turned to face the person sitting beside her whom she had never spoken more than five words to─she didn't even know her name. The girl nodded towards the front and Nadia looked in that direction to find their teacher looking at her.

"Question four, can you please answer it?" the teacher asked. Nadia nodded before reading the question and answering correctly. But not long after she finished speaking, the door opened to reveal their vice principal. She watched as she walked to their teacher and they exchanged a few words.

At that moment, Nadia allowed herself to look back outside the window and survey the scenery until their teacher spoke.

"Looks like we have a new student everyone."

The door opened once again and this time, a guy their age walked in. He didn't look particularly excited to be there nor did he look like he hated it; he just had an indifferent expression on his face. The class kept their eyes on him as he walked to the teacher.

"Why don't you introduce yourself?" the teacher asked him. He nodded before turning to face the class.

"Hi my name is Mason and I'll be joining your class," he said. The class was completely silent until it came time for him to pick a seat. He looked around the class until his eyes landed in Nadia's direction and suddenly, he seemed to freeze.

She watched him as he continued to look at her, wondering why he was looking at her but their little staring competition was interrupted when their teacher spoke.

"You can take that seat if you'd like," he said, referring to the seat in front of Nadia. He slowly nodded his head before walking in her direction. She continued to watch him until he sat down and at that moment, she returned her attention to the teacher as the lecture unfortunately continued.

---

It was lunchtime as Nadia was pushing herself outside to eat, when someone walked up beside her and picked up her lunch from her lap. She turned to look at the person, about to ask for her food back, when she noticed who it was. She watched silently, unable to say a word , as Ashley opened the container and dumped out the food with a sneer on her face.

As she watched her food falling onto the ground, she felt her eyes sting. But she pushed away the tears, not wanting to feed her satisfaction. And when Ashley was done pouring everything out, she covered the container with the lid and placed the container back onto her lap, smiling brightly.

"Enjoy your lunch handicap," she said, before turning around and walking towards the building. Her once best friend's figure disappeared as the tears finally fell onto her face. She struggled to fight them back and allowed them to fall as she pushed herself towards the building, intending to buy food from the cafeteria instead.

But she didn't get far before she felt something small get stuck on one of her wheels and the next thing she knew, she was falling.

The loud sound of her container hitting the ground filled the air as her hands made contact with the concrete. She felt a small burn as some of her skin had been scraped away with the force. She quickly wiped away some of her tears only for it to be replaced.

She struggled to push her upper body off the ground as her tears continued to fall. And at that moment, she began to fear being stuck on the ground for the rest of the day.

Although she knew that it was useless, she managed to turn her head to face her legs and continually pleaded in her head with her brain to make her legs move. Even if it was just once. She would have accepted any movement from her legs, no matter how small. But the more she pleaded with herself, the more helpless she felt and the more she began to believe that she truly was a handicap.

And just when she thought she would be stuck on the ground forever, she felt herself getting lifted off the ground and placed back into her wheelchair. She couldn't do or say anything as her chair was pushed by the person who had picked her up towards the school building and so, she allowed herself to continue crying with her head in her hands.

She had been so focused on crying that she didn't notice where she had been taken to or who she was with until she heard a male's voice beside her.

"Isn't it better to cry up here where they can't see you?"

It was at that moment that she realized that he had taken her to the rooftop, as a breeze played with her hair. She had been so focused crying that she could not recall being in the elevator.

She turned to face the person who had just spoken and recognized him as the new guy, Mason. She turned her head back towards her lap and cried to herself silently until she heard movement beside her. She looked back in his direction and watched as he stood up.

She continued to look at him as he walked towards the door beside the elevator door. She pushed herself towards him and when she was close enough she said,

"Thanks."

She watched as he stopped walking and stayed in that spot for several moments. She debated on whether or not to go closer to him but before she could make up her mind, he turned to face her with a small smile on his face.

"Don't mention it."

***

A/N:

Thank you very much for reading this chapter of Disabled. I hope you enjoyed it. And I'm really sorry about the long wait between this chapter and the last one; writer's block hasn't been very kind to me lately. Hopefully I can continue to write more of this story because there's so much that I have planned to happen. And so, I hope you'll stick to it!

~candysweet101

[edited - 2019/06/28]