Five

Five

October

Music blared from the speakers as she ran into the gym with the rest of the cheerleading team behind her. The team made its way into the center of the room as the sound of the school cheering surrounded them. When they got into their positions, they started the routine which they had practiced for the welcome back pep rally.

It was going great for Nadia until someone bumped into her. 

And that was when the memory was replaced with her sad reality. She looked at the person as she walked away, not even bothering to say that she was sorry, and continued to push herself towards the gym.

Today was the annual welcome back pep rally and it was going to be the first year in which she wouldn't participate since she had started attending this school. And what made it even sadder for her was the fact that it would have been her last time in the welcome back pep rally since she was now a senior.

She entered the gym and stayed close to the door since there wasn't space for her on the stands and watched from afar. Not long after she had entered, the lights dimmed and a spotlight appeared in the middle of the gym. She heard the sound of the school band as they entered the gym, playing a song she had heard on the radio one too many times. All around, she watched as the spectators cheered throughout their performance.

When they finished, everyone clapped and cheered while she just sat there. They walked off the stage and immediately, music played from the speakers, a sign that the cheerleading team was about to enter.

Chris ran into the center of the gym with a large smile on her face, followed by the rest of the squad. She felt her eyes sting as she saw how happy she was being front and center as the captain. Although she hadn't said it to her directly, Nadia always had a hunch that Chris disliked the fact that she was always the captain or vice-captain. But now, it was finally Chris' chance to take the spotlight and she could see just how happy that made her.

They performed the routine which she had shown them before the summer break and what hurt even more, was the fact that Chris took credit for it at the end. Nadia wiped away the few tears which had fallen onto her face and took off her brakes, attempting to leave. But as soon as she saw a large picture in the corner of her eye, she froze.

"Everyone please calm down," the principal announced, walking towards the podium which had been set up after the cheer squad left. The sound of people talking dimmed as everyone, including her, turned to face the principal.

"I'm not sure how many of you are aware but an unfortunate incident occurred while we were on break and because of that, we lost an amazing student and companion."

Nadia looked at the picture closely and couldn't help herself as she broke down once she saw an enlarged version of Jackson's year book photo from last year, held by two of his closest friends.

"His family held an intimate funeral with close family members recently."

Upon hearing those words, she felt as if she couldn't breathe. She remembered how much his parents had treated her like their daughter when they were together. And she couldn't believe that they had gone ahead with his funeral without her. There had to be a reason why they did that. But at the moment, she couldn't get past the thought of them leaving her out of it.

"But since we couldn't go, it was suggested by someone to have a memorial service for him considering how much time and effort he put into this school. Here is a short clip of the things he was able to achieve during his time with us," she informed the student body, moving to the side as the projector screen rolled down and the lights dimmed again.

The short video showed different pictures and clips of Jackson in happier times. There were several of him as the captain of both the football and basketball teams. As well as him just walking around and being the kind person he was to his fellow students. 

Seeing those pictures brought up many memories of them together which made her sad. But that sadness was further increased once she saw a picture of them at junior prom the year before. The couple had looked so happy as they danced. And that was enough for her to rush out with tears running down her face, no longer able to continue sitting there.

---

For the rest of the day, Nadia couldn't focus in any of her classes as she remembered what had happened at the pep rally. She went through her classes as if she was a zombie, not really paying attention to what happened around her. Even when people did or said things to hurt her, she ignored them as if she hadn't seen or heard them.

And when the end of the day came, she rushed out of the building in search of her mother at the student drop-off and pick-up zone.

"I need you to drive me to Jackson's house," was the first thing Nadia told her. Her mother froze as soon as she heard her and awkwardly walked behind Nadia to push her wheelchair.

"Mom," she called out to her.

"Nadia, I'm not sure that's a good idea," she heard her say.

"It doesn't have to be a good idea; I just need to speak to his parents."

She didn't need to say anything else as her mother allowed her to get into the car and drove towards his house. When they got there, her mother begrudgingly opened the door for her and Nadia pushed herself out of the car and towards their door.

She impatiently waited for someone to open the door after she had rung the bell. And when it was opened, she felt disappointment rush through her as an unfamiliar person appeared.

"Who are you?" she asked the guy standing before her.

"I think I should be asking that since you came to my house," he replied, his eyebrow lifting slightly. Her eyes widened as she heard the last of his words.

"What do you mean your house?" she asked.

"I mean that I live here─"

"What happened to Mr and Mrs Cooper?"

"I'm sorry but there's no one here with that name," he said, attempting to close the door but she reached her arms out and pushed it slightly to keep it open.

And when it opened again, a woman who looked similar to the guy stood beside him with a smile.

"Hi there, are you someone from the neighborhood?" she asked. Nadia shook her head and looked away sadly.

"She's looking for a Mr and Mrs Cooper," the guy told the woman who she assumed to be his mother. The woman's smile changed to a sad smile as she looked from her son to Nadia.

"I'm so sorry sweetie but there is no Mr and Mrs Cooper here. Maybe they were the last owners of this house but we just moved in; it's our house now."

And at that moment, words could not describe how she felt.

* * *

[edited - 2019/06/27]