Forty-Nine

*unedited*

Forty-Nine

Throughout her rehabilitation session, Nadia couldn't stop smiling to herself every time that she remembered that she was going on a date with Mason afterwards. And so, when the door opened just as her session finished, she couldn't stop herself from looking in that direction to find Mason entering the gym. 

He waved at her and she waved back, a large smile on her face.

"Who's that?" the rehab assistant who had been helping her asked.

"My boyfriend," Nadia replied, feeling a sense of pride.

"He's cute," the assistant said, winking at her. Nadia chuckled as she felt her cheeks warm slightly. 

"I don't think we should keep him waiting for long so let's end the session here. Don't forget to do the exercises that we did today and I'll see you next week."

Nadia nodded her head, thanking the assistant and saying goodbye before transferring herself to her wheelchair. She pushed herself towards Mason who stood up from where he had been sitting in the waiting area as she approached him.

"Hey," he said. She smiled.

"Hey. I just need to go and change. Do you mind waiting a little longer?" she said to him. He shook his head.

"Of course not. I'll be here." 

She felt her smile widen slightly as she nodded before making her way to the change room to change. 

As she looked at the outfit that her mother had helped her pick out, she found herself feeling the same way that she had when she was going on her first date with Jackson—excited yet slightly nervous.

She quickly changed and fixed her hair before she made her way back out to the waiting area to find Mason looking down at his phone.

"Ready to go?" she asked.

Mason looked up and froze midway as he was putting his phone in his pocket.

"Yeah," he breathed.

Nadia's eyebrows drew together, slightly confused by his action but she brushed it off when he smiled and stood up.

"Let's go."

He walked to the door and held it open for her to exit. And once she did, he stood behind her chair and placed his hands on the push handles. She opened her mouth to speak but he stopped her by saying,

"I know you like to push yourself but I want to do it today. And it also gives me a chance to do this," he said just as he leaned over the back of her wheelchair to place a kiss on her cheek and whispered,

"You look beautiful."

Nadia felt her lips turn up in a smile as he pushed her. She couldn't ignore the warm feeling which surrounded her just by knowing that he was behind her. 

She looked around, curious to know where they were going and asked,

"So where are we going?"

"I wanted to do something fun with you but when you told me about your appointment, I figured you'd be tired and hungry. And a little bird told me that you like sushi so we're going to a sushi place close by."

And as soon as she heard that, she remembered what had happened the last time she had gone out for sushi with Mandy. Seeing Mason with Chris that day, looking like a couple, had been very painful for her. And if it was the same restaurant, she wasn't sure if she would be able to go.