Thirty-Five

Previously

"What happened to the person in the other car?" Mason's uncle asked as he hugged his wife tightly.

"The people in the other car were a young couple around his age," he pointed to Mason before continuing, "unfortunately, the driver, the male, passed away shortly after the accident. And according to our sources, his girlfriend survived but she has been paralyzed as a result of the accident. Because of that, she now uses a wheelchair."

As soon as Nadia heard that, she began to suspect that they were talking about her and Jackson. After all, what were the chances that another couple had gotten into an accident in Rome where the guy passed away and the girl became paralyzed?

"Do you know where the survivor is? Could we possibly meet with her and apologize or something?" Mason's aunt asked as she wiped away her tears.

"Yes I have information on her but according to my sources, apparently you are already familiar with her. I believe you know someone by the name of--"

"Nadia Portman."

Everyone's eyes turned to look at Nadia as she entered the living room.

"Yes, that's right. How did you know--"

The stranger stopped speaking as soon as he looked at her.

And in that moment, the tension in the air was so thick that Nadia felt as if she was going to get suffocated by it.

- - -

"Nadia."

Mason was the first to speak as he stood up from where he sat on the couch. He took a step towards Nadia but she stopped him by holding out her hand, saying,

"Don't come any closer, please."

She registered the hurt expression on his face as she turned her attention to the man who had just delivered the devastating news.

"Mason's dad is the reason why Jackson died? He's the one who crashed into our car?" Nadia asked, her hand balling into a fist as she was suddenly overcome with anger.

The man nodded and Nadia felt as if someone had taken a knife and stabbed her heart with it.

"His dad is the reason why," she was now looking at Mason, "why I'm stuck in a wheelchair?"

There was a short moment of silence before the man said,

"Yes."

And as soon as Nadia heard that one word, she felt a few stray tears run down her cheeks. She furiously wiped them away as she continued to look at Mason.

What were the chances that the guy she had developed feelings for was related to the man who had caused the death of the first guy she had ever loved?

Nadia continued to wipe away the tears as they continued to fall. She heard footsteps and looked up to find Mason walking towards her.

"Nadia," he said her name but she shook her head.

"Please, don't say my name. I can't even stand to look at you right now," she said between tears. A pained expression painted over his face at her words. She pushed herself to the door and opened it before showing herself out.

As she pushed herself home, she couldn't stop crying. But she didn't get far before someone held onto the push handles, stopping her. She turned around to find Mason holding onto the push handles as he looked down at her. The night sky was suddenly illuminated by fireworks for the new year.

"Nadia, I'm really sorry. I know that's not going to make a difference but I'm really sor--"

"Don't--just don't," she said with the little strength that she had left.