Forty-Four: Part I

(unedited)

Forty-Four: Part I

Michael Simmons - The Day Before the Accident

The loud scream from Jason filled the hotel room as he ran after him, the little boy running as quickly as he could to get away from his father.

"Be careful, someone's going to get hurt," his girlfriend Nina said as she placed her bag on the bed.

"Don't worry, nobody's gonna get--" 

But before he could finish his sentence, Jason's laughter was replaced with a loud cry. He ran to him, picked him up and attempted to get him to stop crying. But no matter what he said or did, the two year old only continued to cry. 

He placed soft kisses on his forehead as he continued to whisper soothing words to comfort him. And in the corner of his eyes, he saw as Nina walked towards the dresser that Jason had bumped into, bending down to pick up the contents of his toiletries bag which had fallen onto the floor. 

He returned his attention to the two year old who had finally calmed down in his arms and had began to fall asleep. With a small smile on his lips, he walked towards his bed and placed him on the bed. He stayed for a few moments, watching as his breaths got deeper until he had fallen asleep completely. 

"Micheal?" he heard his name as Nina called out to him. He left Jason on the bed and walked over to Nina.

"What's up?" he asked casually. 

"What's this?" she asked him, holding up a box. And as soon as he realized what she was holding, he immediately took it out of her hands. 

"It's nothing," he told her.

"It's obviously a medication. What's it for?" 

"It's just for headaches, you know I get headaches sometimes," he said to her, trying to keep her from finding out what the medication was really for. He placed it in his toiletries bag before walking towards her and wrapped his arms around her. He placed a soft kiss on her forehead as he said,

"There's nothing for you to worry about, I'm okay." 

She looked at him with a skeptical expression for several moments before she smiled and nodded her head.

"Okay, if you say so."

"Now, since the little man is asleep, should we have some fun?" he said to her, wriggling his brows suggestively before he picked her up, causing her to scream in surprise.

---

The Day of the Accident

Micheal was woken by the sound Jason singing loudly. He slowly turned in his bed and reached out to Nina who he assumed was still beside him. But when his hand made contact with her pillow, he quickly sat up. He looked at the clock to find that it was just getting to noon. With a large sigh, he got out of the bed and walked to the washroom to get ready for his day.

"Morning," Nina greeted him when he finally entered the kitchenette in their hotel room. She placed a soft kiss on his lips before returning to the stove where she had been making his breakfast.

He followed her and stood behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist as he placed a kiss on her cheek.

"Why did you get up so early?" he asked her, remembering how disappointed he was when he realized she was no longer in the bed. She chuckled before turning her head slightly.

"Unlike you, I know that this isn't just a vacation. You should be paying more attention to your job even if you're on a work vacation."

He couldn't deny that she was right. But being in a different country with his new family made it hard for him to focus solely on his job.

He nodded his head and placed a kiss on her cheek before walking over to Jason.

"And how are you, my little man?" he said, picking him up and twirling him. His giggles filled his heart with warmth as he was reminded of when Mason was around his age. His lips turned into a bittersweet smile as he kissed Jason's cheek and placed him back on the floor where he had been playing with his toys. 

"Can I talk to you for a second Michael?" Nina asked as she handed him a cup of hot coffee. 

"Sure, about what?" 

She looked over at Jason for a few moments before she walked towards their bed. Without hesitating, he followed her. And when he stood in front of her, he noticed that her bright expression was now replaced with a solemn look.

"Is something wrong Nina?" he asked, taking a sip of his coffee before putting it on top of the dresser in the bedroom. 

Nina took her phone out of her pocket, unlocked it, and then handed it to him. He looked at the screen and he was shocked to find the name of the medication from his bag on the screen. 

"Headaches Michael? How could you lie to me about this?" 

"You looked up the medication? Didn't you trust me when I told you it was for headaches?"

"Are you reading what's on the screen?! That drug is for cancer!"

He opened his mouth to speak but nothing came out. For several months, he had been receiving treatment without letting her know, afraid of how she would react if she found out that he was dying from lung cancer. But what he feared the most was that she would leave him when they had just started to settle down together. His hand which was holding the phone began to tremble as he continued to look down at the phone.

"Michael, how could you keep this from me? Didn't you think it was important for me to know?!" 

When he didn't say anything, she walked towards him and placed a hand on his shoulder. But he jerked her arm away, the phone leaving his hand and landing on the bed in the process. His hand balled into a fist as he tried to control his anger. He looked up and as his eyes connected with hers, he felt his vision begin to blur as his eyes stung with tears.

"Micheal," Nina said, placing a hand on his shoulder. This time, he didn't jerk her away. Instead, he placed a hand on top of hers as he said,

"I'm dying Nina." 

* * *

A/N:

Hello dear readers! Thank you very much for checking out another chapter of this story. I hope that you enjoyed reading this chapter! I realize that it's a bit short compared to other chapters. When I was writing it, it became very long so I decided to divide it into two parts and I thought that ending this chapter here was the best decision. I will be posting the second part very soon, so please stay tuned!

As always, please let me know your thoughts/comments/concerns/questions!

~candysweet101