Forty-Two

Previously

After packing up their food and paying the bill, they left the restaurant and got onto a bus. As the bus pulled away from the stop, Nadia couldn't stop her mind from wandering back to the look on Mason's face as he spoke with Chris.

If he was now dating Chris, why did he look so solemn?

Her thoughts were interrupted by Mandy when she gently poked her shoulder.

"Are you okay?" she asked, half-whispering.

Nadia forced a smile at her as she nodded her head.

But both of them could tell that she was far from feeling okay. After all, the guy that she had slowly allowed herself to open up to was now seeing the girl that had turned her back on her as soon as she lost her mobility.

She looked down at her legs as she wondered how things would have been if she wasn't in a wheelchair.

Would Mason have tried to fight to stay beside her despite his family being sued by Jackson's?

- - -

A/N:

Hello everyone! Just wanted you all to know that this chapter is in Mason's POV. Hopefully, it will answer some questions that you have about what is going on. I hope you'll enjoy it and like always, please let me know you comments/concerns/questions in the comments!

~candysweet101

- - -

Forty-Two

Two Hours Ago

Mason looked back and forth from his mother to his aunt, watching them as they tried to plan the funeral for his father. Not knowing how he could contribute, he chose to just sit back and watch.

"I think we should cremate him," his mother said. His aunt looked at her with a disgusted look.

"No, we're going to bury him," she told her. Mason's mother sighed before she pulled out a piece of paper and handed it to his aunt.

"What's this?" 

"Just read it."

His aunt was quiet for several moments as she read what was written. And once she was finished, she turned to his mother and asked,

"Where did you get this?" 

"He gave it to me just before we got divorced."

"But why?"

"He didn't know if he would ever be in another relationship and he needed someone to be there for him when the time for his funeral came," she explained.

"But why would he prepare this ahead of time? As if he knew he was going to die?" 

His mother was quiet then. Suddenly intrigued, Mason turned to her and saw her eyes begin to fill with tears.

"Was there something wrong with dad?" he asked, afraid of what the answer would be. He watched her as she took a shaky breath before speaking.

"A few months before we divorced, he was diagnosed with an early stage of lung cancer--"

"What? Are you serious?" his aunt interjected. His mother nodded her head.

"He went for surgery and then he was given several rounds of chemo which cured it--or so we thought. A couple of months ago, he called me and told me that it had come back and this time it had spread to his bones."

Mason didn't realize that he had began to cry until he felt a few tears rolling down his cheek. He angrily wiped them away as he realized that his mother had not told him any of this and neither had his dad.