Twenty

*unedited*

Twenty

Later that day, Nadia had been working on an assignment in her room when the sound of her phone vibrating broke her concentration. She slowly placed her pencil on top of her notebook before picking up her phone.

"Hello?" she said.

"Did you look it up?" she heard Mason ask. 

"Look what up?" she asked, causing him to sigh slightly.

"Skiing for paraplegics." 

She had completely forgotten about it as the thought of finishing her homework had taken over her mind when she had gotten home.

"I forgot," she said to him truthfully. 

"I had a feeling you would forget," he said. And for a moment she could have sworn that she could hear him smiling as he spoke.

"Now that I've reminded you, don't forget to look it up." 

And with that, they said their goodbyes. And as soon as they did, she opened the YouTube app on her phone and searched it up. She clicked on the first video and watched it. She was surprised to see that skiing was possible for paraplegics.

She found herself watching another video when that one ended, beginning to feel hopeful.

Maybe she could go on the trip after all.

- - -

The next day at lunch, Mason asked her to follow her to the main office once they had finished eating. She silently followed him and once they got there, he handed her a form.

"Fill it out," he said to her.

"Are you sure I'll be able to go?" she asked him, unsure if she should even be filling it out when she didn't know for sure whether or not she could go. He smiled and nodded his head.

"Trust me," was all he said in reply.

She took a deep breath before filling it out. And when she finished, she gave it to him as per his instruction before following him to the secretary's desk.

"We would like to sign up for the weekend skiing trip," Mason said to the secretary.

Nadia watched as the secretary's eyes went from him to her. She looked at Nadia until she saw the wheelchair and Nadia noticed the corner of her lips twitch.

"Both of you?" 

Mason nodded.

"But she's in a wheelchair."

"So what? Can't people in wheelchairs enjoying skiing too?" Mason asked, causing the corner of Nadia's lips to twitch with uncertainty as she heard his words. And once again, the secretary looked at her before removing her glasses and leaning towards Mason.

"I'm sorry to rain on your parade but we've never had a student in a wheelchair attend the trip. In case you didn't know, it's a trip for skiing or snowboarding. And as far as I know, that's not possible for people in wheelchairs." 

There was a moment of silence as Nadia felt disappointment begin to cloud her. She had been doubtful when Mason had first suggested for her to go on the trip. But after talking to him, it had began to feel like it would have been possible. 

But any hope that she had had was now crushed by the secretary's words. 

Mason pulled out his phone before asking the secretary,

"Have you ever heard of the X-Games Mrs Johnson?" 

The secretary laughed as a look of amusement took over her face.