Fifty-Five

Fifty-Five

"Wait here until I call you, okay?" Mason said to her.

"Why? I'll help you set up."

"No, I don't want you to lift a finger, you're just here to enjoy it okay?"

There was a few moments of silence before Nadia finally agreed to just wait for his call.

"Okay."

"Great, I'll just be a few minutes," he said before placing a kiss on her forehead and walking away with the picnic basket in his hand. 

She watched his retreating figure with a smile on her lips. And the moment he disappeared, she found her mind going back to what had happened just moments before. 

Why did she suddenly remember what had happened with Jackson in that moment? 

What had triggered that memory?

And why did she have such a physical reaction to that memory?

She looked around the park where Mason had decided they should have their date as those thoughts swirled around in her mind, trying to take her mind off her thoughts by admiring how the trees in the park were lit up by lights which were wrapped around them. It felt as if it was Christmas again as she pushed herself closer to one of the trees to inspect how the lights had been wrapped around them.

She smiled when her phone suddenly started to ring. She took it from her pocket and felt her smile widen slightly when she saw Mason's name.

"Meet me at the end of the path that I used," he told her before hanging up. 

After putting her phone away, she followed the same path that she had watched him walk down. And after a few moments, she saw him waiting for her. She looked behind him but she didn't find anything.

"Where is the picnic?" she asked, confused.

"You'll have to wait and see. The path ends in just a few steps so you won't be able to wheel yourself there. Is it okay if I carry you there?" he asked. She slowly nodded her head.

"Okay."

He walked towards her and picked her up, causing her to wrap her arms tightly around him. She chuckled as he walked.

"The way you're holding me reminds me of when I was little and I would pretend to fall asleep just so my dad would carry me to my room." 

Mason laughed.

"You did that too?" 

After a few moments of walking, Mason said to her,

"Close your eyes."

She nodded her head and did as she was told. And the next thing she knew, she was gently being placed on the ground. She heard Mason walking back to where they had come from, causing her to assume that he was getting her chair. And a few moments later, she heard him walk over to sit across from her. 

"Okay, you can open."

And as soon as she opened her eyes, she couldn't believe that he had been able to set everything up in just a few minutes. They were seated on a picnic blanket which was surrounded by lamps which were lit and on the blanket were little electric candles. And when she looked up, she saw that they were under a tree which was also lit.

"Mason, this is beautiful. You really did this for me?" she said, feeling her eyes suddenly water. He nodded his head as a tear fell across her cheek. Mason quickly scooted towards her and wiped away the tear.