Twenty-three

Twenty-three

Three days ago

Nadia looked at Mrs Cooper from where she sat across from her, unsure of what to say to her.

"How are you doing?" Mrs Cooper asked her. She managed a small smile as she replied,

"I'm okay. How are you?" 

They talked for a few minutes, Nadia using that time to ask about her trip, before their meal arrived and they ate in silence. The whole time, as they ate, Nadia felt like she should say something to her but she couldn't find any words to say. But thankfully, Mrs Cooper didn't seem to mind the silence as she occasionally flashed a smile towards Nadia, causing her to force a smile back.

They had just finished eating their lunch when their dessert arrived. Nadia looked down at the raspberry cheesecake that she had ordered, suddenly reminded of a time that she had came to the same restaurant with Jackson shortly after he had asked her out. She bit her lip in an attempt to prevent herself from crying at the thought.

"Are you alright, sweetie?" she heard Mrs Cooper ask, causing her to quickly blink away the tears as she lifted her head to face her. And nodding, she replied,

"Yeah." 

Mrs Cooper looked at her with a blank expression for several moments, causing Nadia to wonder what she was thinking.

"Nadia," she started to speak.

"Yes Mrs Cooper?" Nadia replied. Jackson's mother took in a deep breath as if she was uncertain about what she was about to say.

"There's somewhere I'd like to take you-if that's alright." 

Not wanting to be rude, Nadia nodded her head.

"Okay, sure."

---

A strong wind blew around them as Mrs Cooper helped Nadia to transfer from the front seat into her wheelchair. She looked around where they had just stopped the car, unsure of where they were. But instead of asking any questions, she slowly pushed herself behind Jackson's mother as she led the way.

And a few moments later, Nadia realized where they were as rows upon rows of tombstones became visible to her:

They were at a cemetery. 

Why did she bring her here? she thought to herself,

There was no way that Mrs Cooper was taking her to Jackson's grave....

Right?

Her thoughts were cut short when Mrs Cooper suddenly stopped, causing her to look up. Mrs Cooper took a few steps aside, causing Nadia to notice what she had stopped in front of.

Nadia felt tears rolling down her cheeks as she took in the image of the tombstone which read:

Jackson Cooper

February 23, 2000 - August 15, 2017

Gone but never forgotten

She felt as if she could no longer breath, her hands instinctively going to her chest to clutch her jacket tightly as a single thought repeated in her mind over and over again.

It should have been me.

For several minutes, all she could do was look at the tombstone as she cried. She faintly heard his mother's footsteps beside her as she walked towards the tombstone and placed a bouquet of flowers on it. They were red roses; both his and her favorite flower. When she saw the bouquet, she felt fresh tears fall onto her cheeks.