Forty-Seven

(unedited)

Forty-Seven

Valentine's Day

It had been a few days since Nadia had gone to the movie theater with Mason. And as she now made her way towards her locker, she couldn't stop herself from smiling as she remembered what had happened.

Throughout the movie, she had occasionally stolen glances at Mason, wondering if he was enjoying the movie. And when she saw the little smile on his lips each time, she couldn't stop herself from also smiling. On one occasion, after looking at him, she reached for some of the popcorn where it Mason had placed it beside him so that she could reach it. And just as she was pulling her hand out with a handful, Mason reached into the bowl. She turned her head to look at him as she felt her heart suddenly beating quickly from his touch, causing her to drop the kernels. 

He smiled at her before grabbing some popcorn and returning his attention to the screen, as if nothing had happened. She quickly placed the few kernels that she had managed to grab with her now shaking hands as she turned her head to face the screen.

And for the rest of the movie, she couldn't stop playing that scene over and over in her head as she wondered,

Why did a single touch have such an effect on her?

When the movie ended, they exited the theater and as they were making their way to the bus stop, Mason suddenly stopped walking, causing Nadia to also stop.

"Are you okay?" she asked him. He nodded his head before awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck.

"I'll be right back, wait here." 

Before she could say anything, he walked away, leaving her at the entrance of the theater. A few moments later, he returned, holding a bag.  

"What did you get?" she asked. 

"It's nothing," he said to her. A big part of her wanted to continue to ask him until he told her but for some reason, she found herself just nodding her head. They continued to make their way to the bus stop, with one of them occasionally breaking the silence to talk about different parts of the movie.

---

Nadia opened her locker and was surprised when an Avengers plush toy fell onto her lap. She picked it up and immediately saw the envelope which was attached to it. Reminded of how she had done the same for Mason, she smiled as she removed the envelope and opened it. She removed the card that was inside and read it,

Nadia, you are the most beautiful that I have ever met both inside and out.

And sometimes I really wish you saw yourself the way that I see you because

I think I'm starting to love you 3000.

-your secret admirer 

Nadia's lips turned up into a smile as she reread the words that were written in the card. A warm feeling surrounded her as she sensed a presence beside her. And thinking that it was Mason who had come to see her reaction to the card, she turned with a large smile. But she was slightly disappointed when she saw Mandy standing beside her.

"Why do you look so disappointed to see me?" Mandy asked. 

"I'm not, I just thought you were someone else," she told her. 

"You mean Mason?" Mandy asked, wriggling her eyebrows suggestively. Nadia chuckled as she looked at her, trying to keep her disappointment controlled. She didn't say anything as she quickly took her textbook out of her locker and closed it.