Twenty Eight

To Nadia's relief, her parents had not found out that she had sneaked out. Because of that, as she ate breakfast with her parents, she couldn't stop herself from smiling secretly.

"Did something good happen Nadia?" her father asked, causing her smile to disappear as she looked up from her scrambled eggs and toast.

"What?" she asked in reply.

"You were smiling. Do you have something to smile about?" her father continued to ask. She smiled somberly as she remembered how tightly she and Mason had held onto each other as they had cried. 

"Not really," she replied. And to her relief, her father didn't ask anything else as he smiled, picking up his cup of coffee and taking a sip.

"Hey, I was thinking," he began to say, once again catching her attention, "we should go on a daddy-daughter date. What do you say?" 

Nadia looked at him with a blank expression, unsure of how to respond.

"I know you're a teenager and you probably don't want to do it but it's been so long. And I feel like we haven't been spending a lot of time together." 

Nadia had noticed that since their vacation, she hadn't been able to spend time with her father. Either he was busy with work or she was just busy with her life, considering everything that had happened since they had come back. Coming to that realization caused her to smile slightly as she said,

"I think that's a great idea, dad."

"Really?" her dad said, beaming. She couldn't hold back her chuckle. 

"I can't wait to spend some time with you Nadia," he said, genuinely smiling at her. She felt her eyes sting slightly as she once again thought about how she had barely spent time with her dad since they had gotten back from their vacation; since she had become a paraplegic.

"Finish up sweetie, I'll drop you off at school," her mother said, breaking her out of her thoughts and causing her to turn slightly to look at her as she nodded.

- - - 

When Nadia got to school, she quickly spotted Mason slowly walking. She pushed herself quickly enough to catch up to him, causing him to turn slightly to look at her when she was within his field of view. He smiled.

"Hey."

"Hey," she replied, smiling back at him, "How's it going?" 

"Not too bad, considering I only got 3 hours of sleep," he said, chuckling slightly. Nadia felt her smile widen as she realized that for the first time since what had happened with Selena, his smile was truly genuine. 

"How're you doing?" he asked.

"Pretty good," she replied. She joined him as he made his way towards his locker.

"Your parent's didn't find out that you were gone?" he asked, concern evident in his tone. She shook her head.

"Nope." 

"I'm glad to hear," he said, taking a sigh of relief. 

"What's this? Were you worried about me?" she asked wriggling her eyebrows suggestively as a joke. He laughed. 

"Of course I was, I asked you to meet me in the middle of the night--on a school night." 

She couldn't hold back her laughter.

"What's so funny?" he asked.

"'on a school night'" she repeated his words, mimicking his voice. He laughed for a few moments before stopping to look at her with a serious expression, causing her to stop laughing immediately.

"What's wrong?" she asked. He smiled slightly as he shook his head.

"I just realized that it's been a while since we've been able to laugh and joke around like this. It feels nice." 

Nadia felt her lips turning into a smile as she took in his words. She couldn't deny that she agreed with him, it did feel nice. 

"I'll go to your locker with you," Mason said, breaking her out of her thoughts. She looked at his hands to find that he had already taken his textbook from his locker. She nodded before turning around and pushing herself in the direction of her locker.

As Nadia and Mason were going towards her locker, they heard hushed voices coming from a secluded hallway. They looked at each other with curious expressions.

"Do you think we should see what's going on?" Mason asked, causing Nadia to nod her head slowly. 

They quietly made their way towards the sound and peeked around the wall to find Chris and Ashley talking. Nadia didn't think sticking around would have ended well but before she could tell Mason that they should leave, a loud outburst frightened her.

"For f***'s sake! Why did you do it Ashley? Did you hate her that much?!" Chris yelled at Ashley as she grabbed onto her coat.

"Let go," Ashley said in a forceful tone. 

"No, tell me why you did it first!" 

"Okay fine! I hated her alright? Just seeing her face pissed me off!!" 

"What are you guys talking about?" 

The sound of Mason's voice caused Nadia to look beside her before realizing that Mason had already walked up to them. The two girls looked at him with a surprised look. 

"Mason," Chris said, letting go of Ashley's coat, "what are you doing here?"

"Are you talking about Selena? Was it your fault that she died?" he asked, looking directly at Ashley whose expression had now changed. She held her head up high as she looked at him with a look of disgust.

"What's it to you if we're talking about her?" 

"Answer the damn question," he said through gritted teeth. From where Nadia was, she saw his hands balling into fists as he walked closer to her. Ashley cleared her throat as he got closer to her. 

"Are you the one that caused Selena to end her life? Are you the one that set her up to be sexually assaulted and then called a slut? Huh?!" 

"Yeah I did it, so what?" Ashley said confidently. Mason lifted his fist and threw a punch, causing Chris and Nadia to look away as they both closed their eyes tightly. Ashley screamed, causing them to open their eyes and look back to find that he had punched the wall behind Ashley, just inches away from her head. She was visibly shaking now as she said,

"Are you f**king crazy?!" 

"Tell me what happened," Mason said with a surprisingly calm tone.

"What if I don't tell you?" Ashley asked in reply, her voice getting cocky.

"I won't miss the next time I throw a punch." 

Nadia placed her hands on the push rings of her wheelchair and pushed herself closer to them. But before she could reach them, the sound of heels hitting the floor caused everyone to turn around as the vice principal came into view.

"What's going on here?" 

* * *

A/N:

Thank you very much for checking out another chapter! I really hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. What do you guys think about everything that happened? Let me know in the comments! 

~candysweet101

P.S: The next chapter will not be in Nadia's point of view.