Fifty-Two

*unedited*

Fifty-Two

March

Two weeks had passed since Nadia had heard what Mason's aunt had said about their relationship. And during those two weeks, Mason had gone out of his way to prevent her from coming in contact with his aunt. And although she felt bad about it, she couldn't deny that she was relieved that she didn't have to face the woman who didn't think she was good enough for Mason.

Although in the back of her mind, she always had the thought that Mason could do better--find someone way better than her, she was also constantly reminded by him of how much he truly cares for her and doesn't want to find anyone 'normal'.

It was the end of the school day as she was making her way to her locker when someone suddenly walked in front of her, causing her to quickly swerve to avoid hitting them. And in the process, she almost hit a row of lockers. But fortunately, someone stopped her wheelchair in time. 

She turned her head slightly to find Mason looking down at her worriedly.

"Are you okay? Are you hurt anywhere?" he asked, quickly making his way in front of her and bending down as he inspected her for injuries.

Nadia chuckled as she looked at him.

"No I'm not hurt, thanks to you."

"Are you sure?"

She nodded her head as she felt her lips turning up into a smile. She watched as he breathed a sigh of relief before wrapping his arms around her in a hug. She hugged him back before they pulled away a few moments later. And as they pulled away, Mason placed a kiss on her lips, taking her aback.

"What are you doing?!" she yelled in a whisper. 

"Kissing my girlfriend," he told her nonchalantly. She looked around, hoping that no one had seen that.

"What if someone had seen that?" she asked.

"Why does that matter? Are you embarrassed of me?"

And once again, she was taken aback when she heard that question. 

When she was in a relationship with Jackson, she hadn't even considered how others would feel seeing them holding hands or kissing. But with Mason, she suddenly felt self-conscious. But why?

Was it because of him? Or her?

Her thoughts were cut short as the notification tone of her phone suddenly rang. She pulled it out of her pocket to find a message from an unknown number.

Hi Nadia. This is Mason's aunt. I was wondering if you have some time today, I'd like to meet with you to talk.

She slowly looked up to Mason, a confused expression on her face.

"What's wrong?" he asked, looking at her phone.

"Your aunt just texted me," she told him, holding her phone out for him to read the message. 

A small smile appeared on his lips as he finished reading before he said,

"She asked me for your number yesterday and she told me that she wanted to get to know you. I think that's why she sent you that message."

"So it's okay for me to meet her? She's not angry at me or something?" she asked, earning a chuckle from him as he shook his head.

"She's not angry so it's safe--why don't you just go now? Ask her where she wants to meet then I can go there with you. But I obviously can't stay for your little talk."