Forty-Eight

*unedited*

Forty-Eight

Nadia opened her eyes when she felt Mason's lips no longer on hers. She looked up into Mason's eyes as she felt him placing his forehead against hers as he smiled. Her lips turned up slightly in a smile but in her mind, she felt conflicted.

Although, she couldn't deny that she was beyond happy that Mason had confessed his feelings for her and had kissed her, she couldn't stop herself from wondering if the timing was right.

"Isn't this too soon for you?" she asked him.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I don't want it to look like I don't want this--because I really do," Mason chuckled at her words.

"But you were just at a memorial service for your dad and not too long ago, you were still mourning his death. I just don't want you to feel like you have to push that aside to be with me."

Mason suddenly placed a kiss on her cheek before saying,

"This is why I like you so much; you're always putting others before yourself."

He placed a hand on her cheek and stroked it gently with his thumb.

"But you really don't need to worry about that. If there's anything that this experience with my father's death and memorial service has taught me, it's that I need to live in the present because I don't know when I won't be able to anymore. And right now, I want to make you part of my present, as my girlfriend." 

Nadia couldn't stop herself from smiling as she continued to look at him, her heart swelling with joy as she repeated his words over and over in her mind.

---

It was the next morning as Nadia woke up, feeling as if what had happened with Mason had been a dream. But that feeling disappeared the moment that she saw the bouquet of roses she had received in a vase on her bedside table, beside the Avengers plush. Her lips turned into a smile as she held the teddy bear that he had given her closer to her as she had slept with it. 

There was no denying that she was happy in that moment. And her happiness only increased when her phone vibrated. She picked it up and saw a message from Mason.

"Morning beautiful."

She felt her lips turn up into a smile as she read his message.

"Are you up?"

She quickly replied to his message and felt her smile widen when he replied to her message by calling her.

"Hello?" she said, suddenly feeling nervous.

"Hey."

There was a moment of silence between them as neither of them knew what to say next. Hearing Mason chuckle caused Nadia to ask,

"What so funny?"

"We've talked on the phone so many times before but suddenly, it feels weird to talk to you like this and not in person."

Now it was Nadia's turn to chuckle. 

"What makes it weird?" she asked, already aware of the reason.

"Before, we were just talking as friends so it was comfortable. But now...," Mason trailed off for a moment, "now you're my girlfriend and I don't know, it still kinda feels surreal that I can even call you my girlfriend. Before I confessed to you again, I played different scenarios in my mind over and over again. And each time, they all ended with you saying no. So I was honestly afraid to tell you how I felt again because I didn't know if I could handle the rejection. But the moment that you said you like me too, I honestly felt like I was dreaming and I still do."