Chapter 4: They Don't Know About Us

When I woke up the next morning, I had about five seconds of happiness before yesterday's events came rushing back into my mind. I groaned and pulled the covers over my head, as thoughts of Louis and Niall and Eleanor and Co. bounced around in my brain. Last night at dinner had been awkward to say the least. Louis had spent the entire time asking me how my neck was feeling, which had earned multiple suspicious glares from both Jay and my own parents. I was not looking forward to going to school today and facing him, or anyone for that fact.

"Get up Stella!" Mom shouted from downstairs, and I sighed. The last thing I wanted was for her to come up and start nagging me to get up, so I reluctantly got out of bed and headed over to my closet, yanking a pair of jeans and gray Topshop peplum blouse from their hangers. I dressed quickly, then brushed my hair and threw on some lipstick before grabbing my bag and heading downstairs. 

"Morning Stel." Mom said, a smile playing on her lips.

I looked at her, puzzled. Mom was never this enthusiastic in the mornings. What was going on?

"Are you alright?" I asked, rummaging through the fridge and throwing a waterbottle and a banana into my bag.

"A letter came for you in the mail today, from Princeton. They're very interested in you applying." She told me excitedly. 

I didn't know what to say. Both of my parents had gone to Princeton, and it was expected that I would go, too. The only reason Asher hadn't gone was because UM had given him a full scholarship to play football, which he had accepted, even though it had extrememly upset our parents. But there was no way that I could get in. The only thing I had going for me was that I was a legacy. But Parsons on the other hand, that was where I belonged. Art had always been my best subject by far, but Mom and Dad seemed to refuse to accept it.

"That's great." I replied unethusiastically. "But I thought we discussed this. I'm going to Parsons."

Mom rolled her perfectly made up eyes. "You're still on that, Stel? Come on, it was cute when you were little but it's time to get serious. You're not going to make any money being an interior decorator!"

"Believe it or not, money isn't everything to me." I retorted, angry that she was being so closed minded.

She laughed. Laughed! "Stella, you haven't gone a day in your life knowing what it's like to be hungry, or cold, or penniless. You wouldn't survive a day in New York with a job like that!"

I didn't want to talk about this anymore. Not when she wasn't going to listen to a word I was saying. I grabbed my car keys and stormed out of the kitchen.

"Stella Grace Parker, you get back here right now, i'm talking to you!" I heard mom yell, but I ignored her and kept going, slamming the front door behind me. I had never looked forward to the drive to school so much. Half an hour of being alone, where no one could humiliate me, or judge me, or tell me what to do. 

"Morning!" Came a cheerful voice. I looked up, squinting in the sunlight. There, parked in my driveway, was a glimmering silver Porsche, with Louis Tomlinson behind the wheel.

"Louis?" I asked, confused. "What are you doing here? How do you even know where I live."

"That's for me to know, and you to never figure out." He said, that stupid sexy smirk on his face. "Get in."

I had to say, it was tempting to just get in the car and not ask any questions. Between the Porsche, black tank that showed off his tattooed, muscled arms,  and layer of stubble on his chin, it was taking me all the self control I had not to faint right there on the doorstep. But I wasn't letting him off the hook that easily.

"I thought you said we should stay away from one another." I said defiantly, staring him down.

"Nooo. I said you'd be smart to stay away from me. I never said i'd stay away from you." 

"You're crazy!" I said. "Why can't you just make up your mind?"

He was silent, and I started to feel bad, thinking that maybe i'd offended him. "Louis-" I started, but he cut me off.

"I don't like to get attached to people, Stella. I always end up hurting them, badly. I don't want to hurt you." He said darkly, but there was a sadness in his eyes, like he was truly haunted by what had happened to him in the past.

"But what if i'm willing to take the risk?" I questioned. "Of getting attached to you."

He locked his eyes with mine. "You'll end up regretting it eventually. Just like everyone else."

I didn't say anything, but I opened the door to the passenger seat and slid in next to him. "I don't live my life with regrets." I told him confidently, but inside my stomach was churning at the bold faced lie. I had spent the last three years regretting everything that had ultimately lead up to the Niall incident; not a day went by that I didn't. "Now drive."

We drove in silence for a little while, but I broke the silence. This whole situation seemed so dysfuntional. I definitely needed to clear some things up. "Louis?"

"Mhmm?" He said, not taking his eyes off the road.

"What exactly are we?" I knew it was a bit of a presumptuos question, but I was desperate to know if he could possible feel even a tiny bit about me the way I felt about him, despite what he had said.

He sighed. "Stella, I don't do relationships. I told you that."

I was hurt, but didn't let it show. "I know! I wasn't thinking about it that way." I lied.

"I like you. A lot more than I want too." He admitted. "You're different from other girls."

"I like you too." I said softly, a smile playing on my lips. But then I remembered something that made my smile turn into a frown. "But what about Eleanor?"

"What about her?" Asked Louis, puzzled.

"She likes you. Which means that no one else is allowed to come near you." I informed him. It was true. Once Eleanor marked her territory, you'd have to be completely stupid to encroach on it.

He laughed. "Oh really?

"She'd make my life even more miserable if she knew we were hanging out." I said.

He looked at me, frowning. "What exactly went on between you two?"

I looked down at my lap, refusing to meet his gaze. "It's sort of a long story. Let's just say you're not the only one with a past."

"I understand." He nodded. "But how about this? They don't know about us. They don't need to. We can keep this- whatever it is, between just you and me."

I couldn't believe that this was happening. Louis Tomlinson, the hottest guy who had ever walked the halls of CGSH, wanted to hang out with me. Liked me enough to keep a secret just to protect me from Eleanor's wrath. I smiled to myseld, hoping that he wouldn't notice the excitement written all over my face. Just twenty minutes ago, I had been absolutely dreading the future. But now, and it was absolutely crazy, I was actually looking forward to it.

_______________

A/N

So, a little bit boring but definitely an important chapter, and I seriously love writing Stella and Louis moments like this! I wish I could say that they're going to live happily ever after, but what's going to happen when their secrets start coming out of the closet??? Hmmmm... dramatic! Please vote, comment, fan, share, and all that!

xoxo, Mac