Chapter 41: You and I

We rode to the station in a somber silence, the reality of what was happening still failing to fully register. Louis Tomlinson, the boy in the beanies with a charming smile and a devil may care attitude, had just been arrested for first degree murder. It astounded me.

I had been to my dad's office hundreds of times, but I had never seen it quite like this. it was absolute mayhem, you couldn't even see through the crowd of people.

"Holy shit." Niall said under his breath. "Liam wasn't kidding when he said it was bad."

"There he is!" I pointed. Liam was standing by his car, yelling into his cell phone. Harry was standing next to him, looking like he was trying not to throw up. Niall honked the horn to get their attention, then rolled down the window so they could talk.

"Anything new?" He called as the two of them approached the car.

Liam shook his head. "Nothing. They finally got him to calm down though. He's still asking for Stella though, did you bring her?"

"She's right here." Niall pointed to me in the passenger seat. "But she's not going in there without me."

"Mate, i'm not sure what's going on with you two, but I don't think that's a good idea. If you were ever friends with Louis at all, you'll send her in there alone."

Niall looked as if that was the worst idea he had ever heard, but all he did was sigh. "Fine. But if he says something to her I don't like he won't be the only one arrested for murder."

I placed a reassuring hand on Niall's shoulder. "I'm a big girl." Louis couldn't possibly hurt me anymore than he already had, right?

I got out of the car and started jogging towards the back entrance, trying to go unnoticed. My dad had given me a key card to swipe into the building in case of an emergency, so I pulled it out and let myself in, thankful I hadn't been spotted by the media.

I blinked to adjust to the harsh fluorescent lights, my footsteps echoing in the hallway. In the distance, I could hear loud voices, which sounded like a variety of people having an argument with one another. 

"How dare you do this to me and my family, I thought that we were friends-"

"My duty is not to my friends, my duty is to the law, which your son-"

"My son is innocent! It's not my fault that your an incompetant piece of-"

"Say one more word, Johannah, and i'll have you arrested for assualting an officer." 

This was worse, worse than I could've imagined. Now my father and Johannah were going at it, meaning that my mother and Johannah, who just happened to be business partners, were probably not on the best terms either. It was a shit show of the highest degree. I was hesitant to step foot onto their battlefield, but I didn't really have a choice at this point.

I pushed open the door, stepping into the main office. Everyone: my father, mother, Johannah, and the Chief of Police, Manuel Orsa, all turned at once to look at me, none of them appearing very welcoming.

"Stella, what on earth do you think you're doing here?" My father asked angrily. 

"I, um...." I blabbered, taken by surprise at my father's hostility. "I heard Louis wanted to talk to me." 

My father chuckled darkly. "I should've known that was what this was about. Stella, do you think that people in custody under suspicion of first degree murder are allowed visitors? I could care less if he's your "boyfriend"-"

"I may not be from America," Johannah interrupted once again. "But excuse me for asking whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?" 

"Quiet, both of you!" Said Chief Orsa. "Mrs. Tomlinson, no one is accusing anyone of anything just yet. William, you know better than to let your personal life interfere with your work. I authorized Stella's visitation under the condition Mr. Tomlinson controlled his anger, and I now have no right to take that away from him."