Chapter 7: Change My Mind

I looked out the window at the sheets of rain falling from the angry gray sky, thinking with a grimace that the weather perfectly matched my mood.

I had almost never been so mad at anyone as I was at Louis. He had left me in the bathroom at the Mexican resteraunt with absolutely no way to get home, the selfish ass. Eventually i'd texted my dad, who had stopped on his way home from the Law Firm to pick me up. The good thing about my dad was that he didn't really ask questions, unlike my mom who would have staged a full on interrogation. 

Luckily, school had been cancelled today because of Hurricane Kevin, so I was alone at home having a Harry Potter movie marathon. Honestly, I couldn't think of a better way to spend the day, considering I was so depressed about the whole Louis situation. I had oven pizza, a gallon of Sprite, and my pink Snuggie. If I never left the theater room again i'd be perfectly fine.

Just when Harry was about to stab Tom Riddle's diary with the basilisk fang, my phone rang. Sighing, I paused the movie and looked down at the screen, praying that it would be Louis. My heart dropped when I saw that it was Niall. I was tempted to just ignore him, but it would be easier to just answer and tell him to leave me alone. 

"Hello?" I said, exasperated.

"Hey love." Niall said nonchalantly, as if we were the best of friends.

"What do you want Horan?" I said angrily.

"My power's out and I haven't got any food. Can I come over?" He asked.

I sighed angrliy. I couldn't believe the nerve that he had, asking to come over to my house so that I could feed him. But, there was something in me that couldn't say no. When we were younger, our favorite thing to do had been to build a fort in me and Ashton's old play room and hide out there during hurricanes. Plus, Niall wouldn't survive an hour without food, and he only lived right down the road. It didn't have to mean that i'd forgiven him or anything.

"Fine." I said.

"You're the best Stel!" He exclaimed happily. "I'll be right over."

I hung up and sprinted towards my bathroom. I hadn't even looked in the mirror yet today, I probably looked like Jean Valjean after nineteen years in prison. Sure enough, my hair was practically dreadlocked. I quickly brushed it up into a ballerina bun, washed my face, and changed into a clean pair of Victoria's Secret yoga pants and a tank top rather than the ratty old sweats i'd been wearing all morning. 

"Stella!" I heard Niall call from downstairs. I'd forgotten that i'd never asked him back for the spare key to the house. 

"I'm upstairs." I yelled, turning off the light in the bathroom and padding into the hallway. Niall had just walked up the stairs and was now standing, soaking wet and shirtless in my upstairs hallway.

"God Niall!" I said, putting my hands over my eyes. "Put a shirt on!" I said, though a part of me, deep down inside was itching to take a peek at shirtless Niall.

"Chill out, Stel. It's nothing you haven't seen before." He said teasingly. I could feel myslef blushing furiously.

"Yeah well that was a long time ago." I mumbled. 

"It doesn't have to be." He said, and I could feel his closeness to me. Gently, he pulled my hands off my eyes. I stared up into his beautiful blue eyes as he stroked his thumb gently across my cheek.

"You're so beautiful." He whispered.

I blushed again. "Stop it."

"I don't really think you want me to." He said. He was right, a part of me didn't. But a bigger part of me was still heartbroken and confused about Louis. I pushed him away.

"I'll get you a pair of Ash's old sweats. You can go ahead and put your wet clothes in the dryer.  Meet me in the theater room." I said matter of factly, turning away and practically running down the hall to Ashton's room, trying to put some distance between me and Niall. I felt a couple of tears run down my cheeks, but I angrily wiped them away. There was no way I was going to let Niall see me cry.

"Babe." I heard an infuriatingly adorable Irish accent say from behind me. "Are you okay?"

I should have known that he would follow me. I stopped in the doorway to Ash's room, more tears streaming down my face. "No." I said truthfully, for once.

He wrapped his arms around me, putting his chin on my shoulder. "Let me make you feel better."

He kissed my neck softly. I shuddered. It was so achingly familiar, I thought my heart would break. I turned around so I was facing him, his arms still around my waist. "It was a mistake letting you come over." I said. 

Niall shook his head. "No it wasn't." He gently pressed his lips to mine, pulling me into him. My brain was telling me this wasn't right, that I was making a huge mistake, but it was like I had no self control. I let him push me backwards onto the bed, my hands running up and down his bare back. He slid my top off so that I was left in nothing but my sports bra, but strangely, I didn't feel as exposed as I normally would have. However, I was shivering from the cold that seemed to be seeping in from outside.

"Are you cold, love?" He asked, his own cheeks an adorable shade of pink from the freezing air.

"Let's get under the covers." I said, biting my lip.

He smiled like a little kid who had just been told he could have his dessert before dinner. I yanked down the flannel bedspread and crawled under, and he followd, spooning me into him. My heart was racing about a million times a minute at the feel of his bare skin against mine, but my mind was numb. 

You're only doing this because Louis doesn't want you

What kind of girl makes out with two different guys in two days?

Niall's just going to use you and lose you again, Stella. When will you learn?

I was waging a war with myself in my mind. I was pretty much disgusted with myself. Here I was, three years later, in the same position I had been on the night that had changed everything. The memory of that night almost caused me physical pain. How come I couldn't let Niall go? Why did I have to love him so much that no matter how much I tried to move on, there was a raw part of my heart that still beat only for him, yearning for him to make it complete again? How could I feel something for Louis - someone who obviously didn't want me either, but still let Niall in, let him see me at my most vulnerable? It couldn't be love. What it was, I didn't know, but it was eating away at me from the inside. It had been for three years.

My phone beeped loudly, pulling me from my thoughts.

"Don't answer it." Said Niall, who was obviously thinking that he was about to get lucky. I ignored him and opened the text.

Louis: Stella, I made a huge mistake, I can't even believe what a total wanker I am. I think i'm falling in love with you. If you can find it in your heart to forgive me, meet me in the lobby of the Fontainbleu at 2:30, I have something I want to talk to you about. xoxo

I could feel my breath catch in my throat. I looked at the clock. It was 1:50. I had forty minutes to make a decision. I could stay here with Niall, who a part of me was still in love with, or I could go meet Louis, who had just told me he had fallen in love with me. 

I knew what I had to do. I had always known what I had to do. It was going to kill me, and someone was going to get hurt, but I had to do it. Nothing was going to change my mind.

"Niall?" I said.

"Yes, love?" He said, turning my face towards his so that I was looking him right in the eye.

"I'm still in love you." 

_________________

A/N

Okay, I know this chapter was a little boring, but if you don't think this ending is a cliffhanger, you're going to be in for a big suprise come next chapter. Who do you guys ship more??? Nella, or Stouis? Comment!!! Also vote, fan, share, follow, anything!

xoxo,

Mac