Chapter 10: Live While We're Young

In the aftermath of the hurricane, we got the next day off from school as well. I spent the day with Louis cooped up at my house, watching movies and playing boardgames with my mom, who seemed a little too happy about the whole thing. It was nice for us all to spend time together, but the stolen kisses and  cuddles when her backed was turned was what made the day so special to me. But now that the roads were cleared and the rain had reduced to a light drizzle, it was back to the normal routine.

I walked into first period history, warm in my navy Hunter wellingtons and Burberry trench, and took my seat. I was not looking forward to the next seventy five minutes in between Niall and Louis. In fact, I could think of about a billion places i'd rather be than here. The rest of the class filed in, the normal din of laughter that usually surrounded the Populars indicating their arrival. Hand in hand, in filed Dani and Liam, Zayn and Perrie, and Harry and some girl named Taylor who I didn't know very well, followed by Niall, who was by himself, and Eleanor and Louis, who weren't holding hands but by the look on Eleanor's face I could tell she wished they were. I didn't make eye contact with Louis, instead focusing my gaze firmly on the desk.

Niall was the first to sit down. I snuck a peek at him out of the corner of my eye. He was frowning angrily and his normally quiffed hair was flat against his forehead, slightly obscured by a Vans snapback, as if he had overslept. He looked as miserable to be sitting next to me as I was to be sitting next to him.

"Your hair looks really good like that, Louis." I could hear Eleanor say. "You should wear it like that more often."

Angrily, I looked up. Sure, I knew Louis was mine and we were keeping it a secret with good reason, but that still didn't make me any less jealous that she was so blatantly hitting on him. His hair did look good though, sort of inadvertantly slicked back from the rain. 

"Can I help you?" Eleanor asked snidely. Only then that I realized that i'd been staring.

I blushed furiously and looked back down at textbook. I could feel Niall looking at me, but I refused to meet his gaze. 

Mr. Sanders walked into the class, and everyone took that as their cue to sit down. Louis slid in next to me. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see him smirking as he pulled out his cell phone and began to type something. Only seconds later, I felt my own phone buzz in my pocket.

Louis: Saw u staring. Jealous much?

I blushed again, typing back. Don't flatter yourself, Tomlinson

Louis: I'm just messing about love. But have u seen Horan? He's in a right bad mood about something. I heard this morning u used to date. Is that true?

My heart started thudding in my chest. I did not want to talk about this with Louis. Not now, not ever. We used to be friends.

Louis: Used to be?

Stella: Used to be. Do u want to come over after school? I asked, changing the subject.

Louis: Sorry love, i'd love to, but I can't. Zayn and Harry want me to try out for the football team, then we have band practice.

Stella: Band practice? I asked, confused.

Louis: Remember how I said in the car we were thinking about putting something together? Well we've decided we'll give it a go, maybe have something ready to perform at the homecoming dance.

Stella: Do you have a name?

Louis: Harry said he's got something in mind. I'll keep you posted. But a pretty girl like you should never have to spend a Friday night alone. How about I pick you up afterwards and take you out.