Chapter 17: Moments

In Macbeth by William Shakespeare, it proclaimed by one of the protagonists of the play that “The words become thee as thy wounds”. Although I read Macbeth many years ago, that quote stuck with me, a constant reminder that my own words have the ability to hurt me more so than anyone else. Never more so has that been true than in this moment, the words of betrayal I just spoke to Niall reverberating in my mind, causing me so much pain it was as if someone had taken a knife and etched them into my skin, where they would become scars and leave me wounded forever more.

I had never been much of a conversationalist. My feelings were always more apparent in my actions than in anything else. Therefore i’d never felt the crushing self loathing in the aftermath of purposely using words to hurt someone else before tonight. Niall had been right. Watching the light dim from someone’s eyes as you said words that you knew would destroy them was the most wretched thing you could ever do. 

As I approached the address where Louis had told me to meet him, I texted him to let him know I was almost there. I breathed a sigh of relief when I made the turn onto the infamous Calle Ocho, thankful I would no longer have to focus on driving safely when all I wanted to do was retreat to my bed fortress and never come out. The building at 215 was off the main street, a large warehouse. I had seen it before in countless magazines, advertisements, and television shows that took place in Miami. It was Destino, one of Rivera’s most popular nightclubs. In the dwindling daylight I could see Louis leaning against one of the walls, away from the crowd.

I swung into the nearest parking spot and sprinted towards him, jumping into his arms. “I’m so glad you’re okay.” I said, smoothing back his soft hair so that I could get a good look at his face. He had a small bruise under one of his aquamarine eyes and another on his jaw, but I had seen him looking worse.

“I’m so sorry baby.” He whispered, setting me gently back down on the ground but not removing his hands from my waist. “It turns out this was all just some stupid test set up by Rivera. He’s trying to show me how careful I have to be now that, well you know. Avery.” 

I nuzzled my face into the crook of his neck, so relieved that no real harm had come of this. But deep down inside a part of me knew that next time we probably wouldn’t be so lucky.

“Are you okay?” Louis asked, looking at me with a worried expression on his bruised face. “You seem upset about something.”

“I’m fine.” I lied, knowing it was probably obvious that I was anything but. I had caught a glimpse of myself in the rearview mirror, and not only was my face all splotchy from crying, but my eyes were bloodshot and red, like I hadn’t slept in weeks.

Louis softly stroked my cheek with his thumb and I forced a smile. “Stel.” He said softly. “You have such a beautiful smile. But even that’s not enough to hide the sadness in your eyes.” 

I was so tempted to tell him everything about what had just happened between Niall and I, but what was the point? It wouldn’t make anything better. Niall would still hate me as much as I hated myself. 

“I was just worried about you.” I said finally. From his expression I knew he wasn’t fully convinced, but he didn’t press the subject. “Why did you want me to meet you here?” I asked.