Chapter 9: Save You Tonight

I ran towards him, throwing my arms around him and burying my face into his neck. I could feel him gently rubbing circles on my back, as if he knew that I needed to be comforted. In this moment, I could almost feel all of the problems that had plagued me for so long melt away. Almost. I could feel the raw bit of my heart still throbbing, as if it was struggling to beat in time with the rest. 

"I didn't think you'd come." He whispered in my ear.

"I had no choice." Was my reply. It was true. There was only one person who could save me from Niall, and he was standing right in front of me. Obviously I wasn't well equipped enough for the job.

Louis pulled away, his aquamarine eyes seemingly baring into my soul. He looked so serious it was almost scary. His light brown hair was falling into his face, obscuring his gaze somewhat, and there was a grim expression in his face. Also, there was a bruise on his jaw, which I stroked softly with my thumb. He flinched in pain.

"What happened?" I asked, dreading the answer. There was so much I didn't know about Louis, but I had a feeling he liked it that way. He was trouble. I knew deep down inside that he was capable of hurting me. But it seemed as if he posed more a danger to himself than he did to me. I had come here thinking that Louis was going to be the one that would save me. But maybe it was him that needed to be saved.

"Nothing." He said, looking down at his worn black Vans. I had expected this answer, but it didn't make me any less agitated that he wouldn't give me a valid answer.

I bit my lip. "You don't have to hide anything from me."

He grimaced. "I'm not trying to hide. I'm trying to keep you safe."

"From what?!" I asked, exasperated.

He paused for a moment. "Myself."

I pulled him back into me. "Believe me, there are people who have hurt me worse than you can ever imagine."

"I can see it." He said. "In your eyes. You're running from something. But it seems that no matter how fast you run, it keeps catching up with you."

I shut my eyes, refusing to let any more tears escape. He could see how broken I was, something that nobody else had ever accomplished. Or maybe they had, and it just didn't matter to them. Maybe they wanted me so broken that there was no chance that i'd ever be fixed.

"What are you running from?" I whispered.

He didn't reply. In the distance, there was a boom of thunder and the lights shuddered off, leaving the lobby in a complete distance. For the first time, I noticed that it was completely empty of the usual lunching socialites and businessmen. It was just me and Louis.

"I got us a room. I figured that neither of us would be able to go anywhere in this weather. Your mom is with mine at their office ; I told her that i'd make sure you were okay. I nodded, following Louis towards the stairs, and hand in hand, we walked up to the third story, down the hall and into the room. Rain was pelting against the windows and it almost seemed as if the building itself was swaying back and forth in the wind. I shivered in the cold, realizing for the first time that I was soaking wet. 

"You must be freezing, love." He said gently. Ripping the duvet covers off of one of the twin beds, he wrapped it around me then lay next to me on the bed. I put my head on his chest. For a few minutes there was no sound but our breathing and the faint thumping of his heartbeat that I could hear through his sweater. 

"The past." He said randomly, drawing me out of the semi trance that I had fallen into.

"Huh?" I asked confused, looking up at him.