Chapter 8: Same Mistakes

"I'm still in love with you."

The words rung in my ears as a wide grin spread across Niall's face. He looked like a little kid who had just been told that Christmas was coming early. It broke my heart a little, knowing that I was about to wipe that smile right off his face, but at the same time, it felt good. Like I was finally getting my revenge for what he'd done. 

"But this isn't going to work. Letting you come here, it was a mistake." I whispered. As I predicted, the happy look on his face evaporated immediately. 

"What do you mean?" He asked angry, but confused. I looked down at Asher's plaid bedspread, running my fingers over the flannel while my mind searched for the right words to say.

"We're going in circles." I told him. "Playing the same old games. But as much as I spent so many days wishing for this to happen, i'm not going to make the same mistakes."

"How could you do this to me?" He yelled. "You know how I feel about you!"

"The thing is," I replied, " I don't know how you feel about me. I thought that I did, but if you don't remember, you did a good job of proving to me how wrong I was." 

Niall didn't say anything for a while, and I knew what he was thinking. He was thinking the same thing I was, about how something that had seemed so right had gone so horribly wrong. It was the same chain of events that I played over and over in my mind, the memories so sharp and crystal clear they stung. Especially now, in hindsight, it was my fault for not noticing what was happening sooner. A single memory always lingered in the front of my mind. It was like watching a scary movie on repeat and not being able to change the channel ; you knew how it ended, but that didn't make it any less different to watch.

It was a particularly cold day for October. Normally the temperature didn't drop until around Thanksgiving, but today the wind was blowing and a soft drizzle of rain fell from the sky, causing the pavement outside to shimmer in the hazy gray afternoon light. I was sitting on the steps, waiting for Niall, glad the day was finally over. I just wanted to get out of here.

Behind me, I heard the sound of the door opening and loud laughter. I turned around to locate the source of the noise and my heart immediately dropped. Dani, Liam, Zayn, Harry, Eleanor and a pretty, popular sophomore named Amy Green had just walked out of the school. I turned away, hoping that they wouldn't notice me, but I was the only other person there.

"Hey Stella." Said Eleanor. "Hanging out with your invisible friends again I see." 

I blushed, but didn't say anything as Eleanor and her friends snickered behind me.

"Awww look guys, she's embarassed." Eleanor continued. "It's okay Stel, if I was a complete loser like you i'd be pretty embarassed about it too."

I didn't say anything. I didn't want to give her the satisfaction. But her words hurt, they always did, no matter how much I told myself the weren't true.

"Stella, why don't you do us all a favor and leave? I feel ugly just standing next to you." Eleanor said, and I heard Harry laugh. Tears rushed to my eyes.

It's not true. A small voice in my head whispered. But a louder voice told me it was.

"Come on Stella, let's get out of here." I hear a kind, familiar voice say from behind me. Niall came over to help me up, his wet hair adorably matted to his forehead and I small smile on his face. Immediately, I felt a little better. 

He put his arm around my shoulder and began guiding me down the steps. I made the mistake of turning around, just in time to see Amy Green whispering something in Eleanor's ear and nodding towards Niall.