Chapter 44: The End (Part 2)

"Congratulations Ryder. You've got me right where you want me." I said, trying not to start sobbing at how stupid I had been. Niall had tried to tell me this was what was going to happen, and I had shot him down.

"Not much different from the first time we met. Except this time, it's just you and me." Ryder smirked. "I gave you every opportunity to be on my side. You could have been safe. Gone to college, married Horan, lived in a mansion with a white picket fence. But sadly for you angel, the fairytale ends here."

"Why do you want to kill me Ryder? What good is it going to do?"

"Because." He said, an aggravated look crossing his face. "If I don't get a happy ending, Louis Tomlinson doesn't either."

"You could have had one." I tried. "You still could. We both could."

"This isn't a fairytale princess! This is what happens when an angel falls in love with a demon. We all end up in hell." He turned to one of his men. "Tie her up. Tomlinson should be here soon."

"Louis is coming?" I asked breathlessly.

"He has to try to play the tragic hero, doesn't he? It gives him a reason to wake up every morning of his pathetic life. But don't get too excited. I'm going to make him watch you die, then kill him off."

I wanted to vomit. Ryder was sick. Deeply, disgustingly sick. But there was nothing I could do to stop him. Nobody knew where I was but Niall, and he was long gone. One of Hartley's men grabbed me roughly by the arm and slammed me down into a wooden chair, yanking my arms behind me and binding them before moving to my feet. Finally a strip of duct tape was stretched across my mouth.

I struggled, but it was no use. Ryder's men were a lot stronger than I was, and before long I was completely immobilized. Bound to the chair, I was dragged across the cold concrete floor and put next to the young man I had seen tied to a chair when I first walked in, who I now recognized as Louis' accomplice, Vega.

Tears of frustration began pooling in my eyes. I had thought I could reason with Ryder, but he was too far gone. He only had one thing on his mind: vengeance, and he wasn't going to stop until he got it.

"Oh, sweetheart." Ryder cooed, a hint of a southern accent peeking through his deep, eerie drawl. "There's no need to cry. I'll make it as painless as possible for you. Besides, life and death really aren't too dissimilar. The only difference is in life you know how dead you are on the inside."

"I beg to differ Ryder. I happen to feel very, very alive." Came a voice from the doorway. I looked up, my heart pounding, letting out a muffled scream of relief.

Louis, dressed in dark jeans, a leather jacket, hair mussed, and a loaded gun held in his outstretched arm, had just sauntered in, his eyes a haunting shade of slate gray. He had one finger on the trigger, and he didn't look like he was afraid to pull back on it.

"Louis, come out to play, have you?" Ryder taunted, reaching into his jacket and pulling out a shiny silver gun of his own, cocking the trigger. "Well i'm afraid my toy happen to be bigger than yours."

"Oh, I haven't come to play. You're riddle was game enough. I've come to win." Louis hissed, taking small steps forward. "It ends here Ryder."

"What ends here? You can't win, Tomlinson, why don't you understand? You kill me, you go to jail for the rest of your life."

Louis nodded pensively. "I'll sleep every night in my cell with a smile on my face knowing that you're six feet under."

One of Ryder's henchman made a move towards Louis, and before I knew what was happening, Louis pulled the trigger, sending a bullet into the man's foot. He screamed out in pain and I watched in horror as blood began gushing out of the wound.

"That'll be your chest in a few seconds if you don't tell the rest of your men to lay off." He said, a surprising lack of remorse in his tone.

A flicker of what could only be described as fear crossed Ryder's visage. "This is between him and me!" Ryder called.

"That's right Ryder. This is between me and you. So why don't you let Stella go, and i'll try to show you a little mercy."

I had never seen Louis like this before. It was like he was completely detached from himself, and was now nothing but a killing machine, ready to gun down anything standing in his way.

"You're not the only one with a gun, may I remind you." Before I even had the chance to scream, Ryder had the cool metal of the barrel of his weapon pressed against my temple. "You even flinch, and I blow her brains out."

"Let. Her. Go." Louis growled.

"Not. A. Chance." Was Ryder's mocking reply.

Everything that happened next happened so quickly, I barely even registered what was going on. Louis lunged forward, roundhouse kicking the gun out of Ryder's grip before knocking him the floor and pinning him down. Ryder however, was fast to retaliate, using his free hand to punch Louis squarely in the jaw before knocking the gun out of his hand.

I watched in horror as Louis, who was staring with a pained expression at his gun sliding across the smooth concrete, was attacked by Ryder, who had somehow managed to get out from underneath him and slammed him to the ground. Digging a knee into Louis' groin to keep him pinned down, Ryder's fist landed one blow after another into Louis' face, just like Louis had done to him that one fateful day at the gas station.