Chapter 28: Troublemaker

After practice, I went to get dinner with Niall at the mall, than stopped by the Apple store to pick up a new cell phone, my old one being broken far beyond repair. I tried my hardest not to think about what Louis and Eleanor were up too, but being with Niall made it easy. We didn't talk about last night at all, it was as if it never happened. I helped him pick out a shirt and shoes to wear with his homecoming tux, as well as a corsage for Eleanor. I wasn't even close to finding a dress, which was sort of worrisome, but I would probably just borrow something from my mom. 

That night I was finally able to get some sleep, and I actually felt rested when I woke up the next morning, enough so that I was willing to put some thought into my appearance. I dressed in a cream colored Burberry sweater dress with black tights and Louboutin ankle boots, dumping my textbooks and pens into the Hermés Birkin handbag i'd gotten for my sixteenth birthday. I finished getting ready early and figured that maybe I would walk over to Niall's and get some breakfast, since my mom had forgotten to buy eggs or milk for cereal again.

I grabbed my keys and walked out into the oddly cold for September morning, at first not noticing the sky blue Volkswagen Beetle parked in my driveway. It wasn't until I went to put my handbag in my car that I saw it idling on the other side of my dad's Audi. I let out an involuntary gasp, my keys slipping from my hand.

"Morning darl." Said Eleanor, dropping the YSL Touch Eclat concealer she had been dabbing under her eyes back into her purse.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, completely shocked at what was happening. Eleanor in my driveway was a sight I never thought i'd live to see.

"Why don't you get in and i'll tell you?" She demanded, slipping off her Dior sunglasses and looking me straight in the eye.

I shook my head. "There is no way i'm spending any time alone with you in a confined space."

"Look." She said menacingly. "The last thing I want is to have anything to do with you. But I think you'll be very interested in what I have to say, so just get in."

I picked up my keys before walking over to the passenger door of the Beetle and getting in. I had to admit, I was intrigued, and besides I wasn't in the mood to face her wrath if I disobeyed her orders.

Eleanor turned down the Bruno Mars song that had been blasting from the speakers before backing out of the driveway and speeding down the road. I looked nervously out the window, not quite sure what to say or do. Luckily, Eleanor decided to initiate the conversation.

"So, I had quite an interesting chat last night with a friend of yours. Ryder Hartley? Charming guy."

I took a sharp intake of breath. "Excuse me?"

"Yep! He called me last night. I suppose he figured that maybe I could... help you speed along this little deal of yours." She smirked.

"Oh yeah?" I said a lot more calmly than I felt. "What exactly did he tell you? About this deal." 

"Just about everything. You've been a very naughty girl lately, Stel. What would your daddy have to say about his daughter running around with someone like Louis?" Eleanor grabbed her Starbucks iced coffee from the cup holder and took a long slip, the smirk never leaving her lips.

"So you know." I sighed. "If I had known you would take it this well I wouldn't have kept it a secret." 

She laughed "Oh trust me, if I hadn't spoken to Ryder, things would be very, very different right now. Come to think of it, things are going to be very different in a couple of days."

"What are you talking about?" I snapped, my patience growing thin.

"Come Sunday, i'll be with Louis, and for the first time in your life Princess Stella is going to know what it feels like to not get what she wants." Eleanor said triumphantly.

I scoffed. "You're delusional. Louis doesn't want anything to do with you."

"Oh really? Is that why he offered to come run over plans for homecoming with me? Is that why he paid for my dinner? Is that why he came over to my house to help me with my math homework? Yeah Stel, obviously Louis doesn't want anything to do with me."

I blanched. Had Louis really done all of that? "Have you ever thought that maybe he's just being nice?"

"Nice?" Eleanor laughed again. "He's a guy! Guys are never nice for no reason."

"What about Niall?" I tried weakly.

Eleanor scoffed. "I can't believe I wasted three years chasing after him. He's so boring, and honestly he's not even that cute, I don't know why so many girls like him. You can have him, all he ever does is talk about you anyway."

I glared at her. "Don't you dare talk about him that way. It's your fault that we spent three years not speaking to one another, I loved him and you took him away." 

"Oh boo hoo." She rolled her eyes. "Stop complaining, I just said you could have him."

"I don't want him! I want Louis." I insisted, wondering if i'd be able to survive opening the door and rolling out of the car to safety. 

"Yeah, well Ryder has assured me that that ship is sailing." She said unsympathetically.

"I don't get it. What role do you even have in all of this?" I asked.

She smiled haughtily. "That's for me to know, and you to figure out."

I wanted to slap the smile right off her face. "Why are you such a bitch? I mean, what did I ever do to you to make you hate me this much?"

"God, do you even have to ask? I mean, look at you in your $3,000 Burberry coat and your $1,500 shoes with your huge house and your stupid, perfect family. You have everything anyone could ever want, and all you do is walk around pouting like your life sucks so freaking much. You didn't fool me for one second, I was raised with girls like you. Anytime you don't get what you want and you act like its the fucking apacolypse."

I was absolutely appalled. "Is this about Niall? Eleanor, I was in love with him for years before you even stepped foot in Miami, what you made him do almost killed me! This has nothing to do with how much money I have-"

"Save it for someone who cares Parker." She cut me off. "The fact of the matter is that for once, you're finally going to know how i've felt all these years, always coming in second to you."

Before I could reply, she cut the ignition, and I realized that we had arrived at school. I opened the door and got out of the car, not even bothering to look back as I fast walked across the parking lot. Now that Eleanor, the most ruthless, merciless girl I had ever met was involved in all of this, any hope I had of holding onto Louis was gone. Maybe i'd be able to devise some sort of plan if I knew exactly what it was Ryder had instructed her to do, but I was at a loss. 

I sped towards my locker, not even bothering to look where I was going. Unfortunately, being the total klutz that I was, I walked straight into someone coming from the opposite direction.

"Sorry." I mumbled, looking up to see who it was. Immediately, I sighed in relief. "You have no idea how happy I am to see you."

"I've been looking all over for you!" Niall said, looking worried. "What's wrong?"

I shook my head glumly. "I don't even know where to begin."

"Stella, I really wish you would tell me what's going on. This past week you've been acting so weird, plus you look like you haven't eaten or slept in about that much time." 

"Niall, I-" I began to say, but I stopped when I saw Louis and Harry walking up the hallway. We locked eyes for a second before Louis said something to him and headed over to where me and Niall were standing.

"Hey!" He said, but I ignored him, leaving Niall to say a weak "hello" for the both of us.

"You okay Stel?" Louis asked, turning towards me. "You never called last night, I thought you said you were going to ring the house."

"It wouldn't have made a difference." I muttered bitterly. "You wouldn't have been able to answer from Eleanor's anyway."

Louis paled. "Can we not talk about this right now?" He whispered, glancing at Niall.

"No, we can't. Why didn't you tell me you were going to go to her house?" I said angrily.

"It's not like it was planned! She asked me if I would come over and help her finish her math assignment, is that really such a big deal?"

"Um, yeah, sort of! You shouldn't be going over to other girl's houses without telling me, Louis!"

Louis took a deep breath, an infuriated expression on his face. "I'm getting real tired of your shit, Stella. I lost my phone, what did you expect me to do, drop by your house and let you know? You don't own me, I can do what I want."

I glared at him. "You should really consider reevaluating that last statement Tommo, because at the rate you're going, the things you want to do are going to end you up behind bars."

He looked positively irate. "Are we going to start this right now? Because I really don't think you want me to start listing all the problems I have with you." 

"Um guys," Niall stepped in. "Maybe you should talk about this some other time..."

"Shut up Horan!" Louis said forcefully. "This doesn't concern you!"

"Everything to do with Stella concerns me." Niall replied calmly. "I'm not going to let you disrespect her, she doesn't deserve it."

Louis rolled his eyes. "Quit it with the Captain America shit, and quit trying to be her boyfriend, that position's already taken, if you haven't noticed. She doesn't want you! Stop stalking her and get a life."

I could see Niall getting angry, and people were beginning to stare. The last thing I wanted was for the two of them to start fighting here in the middle of the hallway. Luckily, Liam, who I hadn't even seen show up, decided to intervene.

"Hey Lou," He said, gently placing a hand on Louis' shoulder. "Why don't you come with me and Haz to grab some coffee from the cafeteria?"

"Fine." Louis said, shooting one last threatening glare at Niall. "We'll finish talking about this later." He mumbled to me before turning and following Liam and Harry back down the hall.

"I'm sorry Stella, but I hate him. I really do. What an egotistical, self righteous douche bag." Niall fumed.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to involve you in our problems." I quickly apologized.

"Stella..." Niall ran a hand through his hair. "I don't know if I can do this. Be you're friend while you're dating him, I mean. They way he treats you sickens me, and i'm not too keen on the way he speaks to me either."

"What? No!" I said. "No, Niall, you can't! I'm sorry, i'll tell him to stop, just don't leave me, not again." I knew I was begging but I couldn't help myself. If Niall abandoned me in the midst of everything I was going through, I wasn't sure i'd be able to go on living.

Niall looked horrified at how distraught I was becoming. Honestly, all this stress was causing me to lose my mind. "Shhh, Stel, it's okay." He said, wrapping his arms around me. "That was stupid of me to say, i'm not going anywhere, okay?"

"Okay." I agreed, taking a couple breaths to calm myself down.

"Let's get out of here." Niall suggested. "I don't really feel like going to class anymore."

"Okay." I nodded, feeling the same way. Forcing a smile, I walked with him across the green towards the parking lot. On one hand, I felt bad that I was running away from my problems, but on the other hand, I felt a strange sense of relief that I could escape them for a little while. 

I would have to face them eventually, but with the sun finally starting to break through the clouds and the only person I had supporting me by my side, now was certainly not the time.

___________

A/N

Yay!!! I updated again. I will try to update everyday and if not I promise I will every other day:)

V O T E

C O M M E N T 

Pretty please with a cherry on top:)

xoxo Mac