Chapter 5: One Way or Another

I felt like I was floating on cloud nine the entire day. I didn't even know why. It wasn't as if Louis and I were together or anything, but he hadn't completely shut down the idea either, and that was enough for me. During third period algebra, he'd even texted me to meet him after school by the back entrance. I was just heading on my way there now, anxious and excited, but I had to stop off at my locker first.

Quickly, I spun in the combination and twisted the lock. I shoved in the books that I didn't need and took out the ones I did, and I was about to shut the door when a muscular arm leaned against it, blocking my way.

"Where are you off to in such a hurry?" Came an Irish accented voice. Immediately, my heart started thumping and my palms grew sweaty. I did not want to talk to him. Not right now. Not ever.

"Go away Niall." I said through gritted teeth.

"Nah." He said cockily, a smirk playing on his lips. "I don't think I will."

I wanted to scream. Why couldn't he just leave me alone? After all, hadn't that been what he had wanted? To get rid of me? "What do you want!"

A forlorn looked passed through his gorgeous ice blue eyes. "I just want to talk, Stel."

"Yeah, well." I whispered. "I don't think your friends would want you doing that."

"I don't care about them!" He said angrily. "I care about you!"

"Well you had a funny way of showing it." I said, the memory of the past stabbing at me like a knife as I thought back to the day it had all began, back when I had had such high hopes about everything, only to have them so abruptly ripped away.

Flashback

"Well," I said, looking at Niall anxiously. "This is it. Our first day of high school."

He smiled shyly. He'd just had his braces put on over the summer and he was still self concious about it, even though i'd reassured him a million times that he looked adorable. "Are you nervous?"

"A little." I admitted, looking up at the gorgeous ivy covered brick building that was our new high school. It seemed so intimidating! But I wasn't scared. I had Niall, and I always would.

"Where's Dani?" I asked, looking around for our missing piece.

Niall shrugged. "Probably with Liam. As usual." He added.

"Ugh!" I sighed. Ever since Danielle had started dating Liam at the end of last year, we'd barely seen her. It terrified me to think that the three of us were drifting apart. Thank god Niall was still single, for more reasons than one. I mean, I loved having him as a friend, but I loved the option of maybe having something more than friendship with him tenfold.

"There's Dani." Niall said, nodding towards the front steps with his chin. Sure enough, there was Dani and Liam, but also Harry Styles, the biggest player in our class, his best friend Zayn Malik, and a  pretty tall, thin girl with wavy brown hair that i'd never seen before.

"Who's that?" I asked Niall, who shrugged again. "I'm not sure. Why don't we go find out?"

I followed Niall over to the group shyly. I'd never really spoken to either Harry or Zayn before; we didn't exactly run in the same social circles. "Hey Dani!" He said cheerfully.

The group suddenly went quiet. Dani looked at us with an embarrased expression on her face, as if she was dissapointed to see us. "Oh, hey guys."

There was an awkward silence, which the new girl finally broke. "Aren't you going to introduce me to your, um, friends Danielle?"

"Oh!" Said Dani. "El, this is Stella Parker and Niall Horan. Stella and Niall, this is Eleanor Calder. She just moved from New York City into the house across the street from mine."

Both Niall and I smiled at Eleanor, but she didn't return the favor. "Are you two like, together?" Was all she said.

I could feel a blush creeping up my cheeks, and when I looked at Niall, he was as red as a tomato. "No!" I said quickly, even though I wished the question had a different answer. 

Eleanor smirked. "How cute! You guys are like third graders who have a crush."

I didn't really know what to say, so I just looked down at my red Converse sneakers. There was another awkward silence, but luckily it was interrupted by the bell.

"Well this was fun and all, but we should probably get going." Eleanor said in a bored tone. "Sarah, Neal, it was nice meeting you."

WIth that, the entire group got up and walked away. Dani looked back, as if she wanted to say something, but instead just grabbed Liam's hand and continued after Eleanor. 

I turned to Niall. "What just happened?"

A sad look crossed his face. "I think that three just became two."

My heart dropped a little. How could Dani just abandon us like that? We'd been best friends since Kindergarten! When Niall came at the end of fifth grade, the three of us had been inseperable. As if sensing the devestation I was feeling, Niall grabbed my hand and looked me straight in the eye.

"Don't worry Stel!" He said earnestly. "She'll come around, and if not, hey, is it really so bad if it's just the two of us?"

I looked at him, confused. "Just the two of us?"

"Yeah." Niall blushed, but he was smiling. "Just us."

I smiled back, temporarily forgetting about the Dani situation, enjoying the feeling of his hand in mine. "That doesn't sound so bad at all."

End of Flashback

 I closed my eyes, willing the memory to go away. It was so crystal clear it was like it had happened yesterday. I could still feel the sting from Dani's dismissal. See the look on Eleanor's face when we'd aproached the group. Feel the warmth of Niall's hand in mine...

I shook my head, trying to erase the thoughts like my mind was an etch- a- sketch.

"Stella, why won't you let me explain?" Niall was saying. "I made a mistake, so what! Everyone does!"

I wanted so badly to say something. To tell Niall how much he had hurt me. To tell him that there was nothing he could ever do for me to forgive him. To tell him that deep down in me, I still had feelings for him that were as strong as the day we first met. But I couldn't tell him any of that. Not when he was standing so close to me, not when I wanted so badly to just wrap my arms around him and pretend that the past had never happened.

Get a hold of yourself Stella! I told myself angrily. Move on! Niall is your past, and your future is waiting for you out back in a silver Porsche.

All of a sudden, Niall's hand was on my back and my body was just inches away from his. It was like I had lost the ability to function. I couldn't speak, couldn't think, couldn't move. I couldn't do anything but stare at his perfect face. Stare at the boy that I had, at one time, been crazily in love with. 

"One way or another, i'm going to get you back." He whispered in my ear, before letting go of me and walking away. I watched him go, trying not to cry. I wouldn't let him play with my emotions, never again. He could try all he wanted, he was never getting me back.

My head held high, I walked down the now empty hallway and out into the sunny back parking lot, where Louis, who who was leaning against his car, flashed me his signature smirk when he saw me. Out of the darkness and into the light; that's how I was going to live my life from now on.

_____________

A/N

So there's just a bit of a sneak peak into Stella's past, so you can kind of get an idea of why Stella is the way she is, as well as a glimpse into her previous relationship with Niall. Unfortunately for her (but pretty exciting for me, and hopefully you guys!), her drama with Niall is far from over... I hope you enjoyed the chapter! Read, fan, vote, comment, and all that!!!

xoxo Mac