Twenty One - Bonding

After walking half way back down the mountain they chose to stop and rest, Michael was struggling big time. They picked a lovely spot next to a river. The large rock they all four sat on stuck far out into the water, making it seem like they were almost on an island. It was very peaceful.

They were sitting down eating sandwiches that calum packed, the ones Ashton stole. While calum was distracted by eating his sandwich and staring at the flowing water, ashton was curiously going through calums bag.

Michael was laying down with his sunglasses on, staring up at the blue sky and smoking. He looked over to see Ashton finding calums special tin box, shaking it curiously. Michael raised a brow and grinned, not saying a thing because he was also curious on what ashton was going to do. Luke was standing near by in the tall grass, picking flowers to make a crown with.

Ashton glanced up at calum, making sure he wasnt watching. He looked back down at the box in his hands and shook it again. Biting down on his lower lip as he tried prying open the lid. He struggled, making his fingers grip tighter and tilt the can at an angle.

With a jerk of the hand, the lid snapped off. But a cloud of ashes few into ashtons face, making the boy squeal and gasp loudly, quickly putting the box down on the rock in front of his sitting body. He started dramatically coughing and swatting at his body, making loud gagging noises.

Calum looked behind him at the sounds that ashton was making, wondering why he was sounding so upset and disgust. Michael snorted a laugh, watching ashton jump into a stand, dusting himself off feeling tears pricking the corners of his eyes.

Calum looked down at the opened box and then back up at Ashton, who was dusting himself off wildly. " hey! what the fuck are you doing?" He quickly got up and ran over to his can, trying to scoop in some of the spilled ashes back into it.

"What is on my face?" choked Ashton, still coughing and dusting himself off. "What is on my face?" he demanded again, sounding more panicked and freaked out. Michael grinned more, "Calum's Mother." he calmly said.

Ashton started screaming, flailing his arms as he stomped in place. He opened his satchel and pulled out his wet wipes, taking one out. He started to scrub his face hard and quickly. Calum glared at ashton, " it serves you right--freak. fuck," he hiccuped and scrunched up his face, grunting and squeaking. " you dont touch other peoples stuff!"

Ashton turned to Calum, tears running down his red face. " funny, thats how this whole escapade started!" he returned to scrubbing his face with the wipes. Calum sighed and closed the lid, bringing it to his chest to craddle the box.

Michael smiled, shaking his head. He sat up and grabbed the nearest sandwich, pulling it toward him. He licked his dry lips and plucked out the lettuce with a sigh. he threw the unwanted lettuce into the water, bringing the sandwich to his lips.

He took a deep breath, pausing for a moment. He nodded once and then took a small bite. He grimaced at the texture and taste, but kept chewing slowly. He gulped down the small piece, making a face. Calum happened to look up when michael took another small bite, his eyebrows shot up in surprise. A smile formed on his face.

Calum threw a pebble at Ashton, making the boy look toward him, he pointed at the eating Michael. Ashton smiled a little, watching the boy eat. But his smile faded and he sighed, watching luke walk back while weaving flowers together.

Luke sat down beside michael, " youre eating!" michael coughed and quickly put down the food, acting like he was caught doing something wrong. Luke laughed and kissed michaels temple gently, "im glad."

Ashton looked down at the water, sighing sadly. " i didnt steal this food.." he finally admitted. Everyone looked his way, confused. "or the gas. i paid for it." Michael scrunched up his face, tilting his head a little. " With what money?" he asked.