Water Doesn't Wash Away Everything 2

“So how’s the family?” Alex asked keeping his eyes on the road. She watched everything flash by as they drove. It was weird driving on the opposite side on the street. That was something she was going to have to get used to.

“Mum’s still busy at work with her candle store, as always. Dad’s dad, probably hasn’t changed a bit since the last time you talked to him.”

“What about Tony?”

Her stomach clenched slightly at the sound of her little’s brother name. Leaving him was one of the things she dreaded by coming here. She looked at Alex and smiled gently.

“He’s doing good. Lost a tooth couple weeks ago.”

Alex chuckled. “I bet he was happy.”

“Actually he wasn’t.”

“No?”

“He thought he was being left out and wouldn’t get the tooth back,” Meg said laughing softly. Alex laughed.

“But he’s doing good? I mean…” Alex looked over at her to see her staring straight ahead. She took a deep breath.

“I don’t know. I like to think so but there’s always that thought in the back of my head. That’s why I was scared to leave.”

“Tony will be absolutely fine, I know it. He’s a strong kid.”

“Alex, the last time you came to visit he was just a baby.”

“And I remember him barely ever crying. Now that’s tough.” Megan laughed softly. She missed her little brother but she needed to listen to Alex. Tony would be fine while she was away.

“Meg!” She jumped and stared at Alex as she caught her breath.

“What?” she yelled looking at Alex like he was crazy.

“We’re here,” he smiled and then jumped out of the car. She looked out the window and realized that they had stopped. She slowly got out of the car looking at the house. She looked over at Alex, who was getting her stuff out of the trunk, and then looked around.

“What?” Alex asked coming to her side. She shook her head slowly and smiled.

“Nothing.”

“Uh-huh,” he nodded and grabbed two of her bags. Megan grabbed the other one and followed him into the house. Before she could step into the house Alex dropped her bags in the foyer and turned around quickly. She jumped slightly and rose an eyebrow.

“I have to warn you,” he said. “It’s a little messy.” Her eyes widened and moved him out of the way. She froze and let go of her suitcase handle.