Chapter 21

Megan stretched her arms above her head and yawned.

“Good morning sunshine.”

She jumped and looked over at Jack who was sitting on the couch watching tv.

“Where are we heading?” she asked looking out the window.

“Winsconsin!” Jack cheered. Megan laughed and smile stayed on her face. She thought of the last few days. It’s been four days since her and Zack’s ‘date’.

All of the other guys knew about them. They noticed something different about the two of them and then Zack eventually told them.

Megan stood up and went into the tiny bathroom to get dressed. She then went into the front lounge to see Rian, Matt, Alex, and Zack. Zack looked up at her and smiled. She leaned down to kiss him then sat between him and Alex.

Alex quickly pulled her into his lap and hugged her tightly.

“Alex, I love you, but you’re squishing me.” Alex laughed and loosened his grip.

“Are you getting stir crazy on the bus yet?” Matt chuckled.

“No, I’m doing fine,” she said smiling.

“What is it Jack?” Rian asked. Meg looked over and saw Jack holding her phone.

“Your phone’s ringing.” He handed it to her and she looked at the caller ID.

Home.

“Thank you,” she muttered quickly. Zack’s brow furrowed at the tone of her voice. It had mixed emotions. Excitement. Anxiety. Worry.

She got up from Alex’s lap and went past Jack to the back lounge.

“Hello?”

Hi Megan!

“Tony!” The sound of his voice suddenly brought tears to her eyes. She blinked them away and sat down. “Hey buddy. Why’d you call? Everything ok?”

Yea, everything’s ok. I miss you.

“I miss you too,” Megan said trying not to sound too sad. “Do you know when you’re having your surgery?”

Yea. In 13 days.

Her stomach tightened. She knew it was soon but it still got to her.

“Be strong for me?” she asked.

I will. Sorry, I have to go now though. Mum’s calling me from downstairs.”

“Ok. I’ll talk to later. I love you.”

I love you. Bye!

The line went dead and Megan clamped her phone shut. She took a deep breath as a few tears rolled down her cheeks.

“Meg? What’s wrong?” Zack sat down and wrapped his arm around her.

“I’m fine. I am. Tony just called.”

“Is everything ok?”

“Yea, he just wanted to talk me. His surgery’s in 13 days,” she sniffled.

“Meg, you can go home if you want to be with Tony.”

“No, it’s ok.”

“Meg—“

“Really,” she nodded. “I want to be here with you and Alex and the rest of the guys.”

“Are you sure?” he asked again.

“Yea.”

Megan wasn’t sure if that was completely and totally true or not.

She wanted to be here with the guys, of course she did. She also wanted to be with her brother and the rest of her family when he went through his surgery.

Megan looked over at Zack and leaned her head against his shoulder. He kissed her head and rubbed his hand up and down her arm comfortingly. If only he knew what was going through her mind.