Chapter 12

Alex knocked softly on Meg’s door then cracked it open. He snorted and walked in when he saw Megan and Zack laying on the bed. Megan was laying on her back with her face away from Zack and her hand falling off the side of the bed. Zack laid on his stomach with his arm lightly around Megan’s waist.

Alex came up to Zack and poked his shoulder. That didn’t work so he poked his cheek. Zack jolted awake then glared at Alex when he noticed him. Alex put his finger to his lips, telling Zack to be quiet, then gestured for Zack to follow him.

Zack slowly got up trying not to disturb Meg. He shut the door quietly then followed Alex into the living room.

“So,” Alex said dragging out the word. “What happened?”

“Nothing.” Zack rubbed the back of his head and yawned.

“Nothing,” Alex repeated. Zack nodded and sat on the couch. “Then why the heck did I find you two in the same bed?”

“She was upset. She wanted me to stay. Happy now?”

“You’re very moody in the morning,” Alex stated. “Is she ok?”

Zack nodded. “Yea, I think so.”

“What was she upset about?”

“Eli.”

“Ah. I see,” Alex nodded. Zack nodded also then glanced at the clock on the wall. He jumped up and ran towards his shoes.

“Dang it. I have to go. I’ll talk to you later. Tell Meg I had to go,” he said all in a rush.

“Bye!” Zack shut the door but not loud enough to wake Megan up. Alex shook his head and stood up.

“What are those two getting their selves into?” he muttered to himself.

***

“Hey.” Megan looked up as she folded everything into her suitcase.

“Oh, hey,” she said to Alex. She looked down at her suitcase and chuckled. “It seems like I just did this.”

“Yea, sorry I didn’t give you better notice about the tour.”

“It’s fine. Just, try to tell me if something like this comes up again.”

“Will do. So, I need you to leave.” She rose an eyebrow at him.

“Excuse me?”

“Just for half an hour or so.”

“Why?”

“I can’t tell you.”

“Um, where do you expect me to go?”

“I already asked Kara to kidnap you.”

“Maybe I should have told my dad you weren’t looking over after me.” Megan stood up and went to grab her shoes.

“Ha-ha. You’re so funny. But seriously, you need to leave. Kara’s already here.”

“You really need to work on the whole giving-people-notice thing.”

“I’ll put it on the top of my list. Now, let’s go.” He grabbed her by the shoulders and led her out of the room. Kara was waiting by the front door.

“Did you tell her?” Kara asked Alex.

“Shh! Shut up!”

“Take that as a no…”

“Can I please know what’s going on?” Megan piped in.

“Nope,” Alex replied. He moved her towards Kara. “Now take her.”

“You ready?” Kara asked. Megan nodded then followed Kara out the door.

“Where are we going?”

“Well I didn’t really plan anything. Fries and talking cool with you?”

“Sounds good.”

***

“So, we never did finish our conversation about Zack.” Megan tensed up but then dipped a fry in the ketchup and popped it into her mouth. Her and Zack hadn’t talked yet since the night of the party. Megan was also a little afraid too.

She felt embarrassed and disappointed with herself. She wasn’t going to lie to herself and say that it didn’t feel nice falling asleep with Zack right beside her, but that wasn’t the point! At least not to her.

“What’s left of it?” she asked Kara after she swallowed.

“I believe we left off you saying that you thought it would be good if you and Zack were just friends.”

Megan nodded chewing on another fry.

“Why?” Kara asked. Meg sighed and wiped her fingers on her napkin.

“I just think it would get too complicated. I know I’m not going to be here too long. If something did happen it would just have to end anyways. And then what would that do to Alex? That would make him feel like he would have to choose between. I’m not doing that.”

“Nothing worth having is not complicated. Alex would be fine,” she reassured. “All I’m saying is that maybe the two of you being together would be as bad as you think it would be.”

“Why are you so interested in this anyways?”

“Because you’re both my friends and I want to see my friends happy. Also I think you two are perfect together.”

Megan looked out the window and sighed. Every time she thought about becoming something with Zack, she thought of having to get on plane and going home.

“It would just end up having people hurt.”

“But what if it won’t?”