Chapter 15

“Megan, hun, what’s wrong?” Kara asked softly sitting next to Meg on her bed. Megan shook her head.

“I hate this.”

“Hate what?”

“Everything Kara!” Megan’s voice cracked. Kara wrapped her arm her friend and rubbed her arm.

“It’s ok.”

“No it’s not,” Megan whispered. “He tried to kiss me and I pushed him away. I can’t even look at him!”

“Shh, it’ll be ok. Meg, you need to start to just live in the present. Don’t think about when you have to go back home. Don’t think about what will happen if you and Zack would have to be separated.”

Megan shut her eyes and rested her head on Kara’s shoulder.

“Do you want to be with Zack?” Kara asked softly.

“Yes,” Meg sniffled.

“And did you want him to kiss you?” Megan nodded. “But?”

“But I thought of Eli and how he was never there. I thought about having to go back home, and I thought of Tony,” Meg said quietly.

I can tell you that Zack would never do what Eli did to you. And like I said before, start thinking about what makes you happy, not the things that would make you upset.”

Megan nodded then laid down on her bed, resting her head on her pillow. There was a soft knock on the door and Kara got up.

“Can I talk to her for a minute?” Alex asked. Kara glanced at Meg who was curled up on her bed and then turned back to Alex.

“Yea, go ahead.” Kara left the room and headed back into the living room. Alex shut the door then went to Megan. He laid on his side next to her and wrapped his arm around her waist. Her eyes were closed and she took a deep breath.

“I don’t know what to do Alex,” she whispered.

“Do whatever makes you happy,” he said softly. “Go out with Zack. Punch him in the face. Whatever it takes.”

She laughed softly and looked at him. He smiled and pushed the hair out her face.

“And I’m saying this not to push you but just as a fact…I can really tell that Zack likes you. If you’re worried that you’ll just go through another Eli, you won’t with him.”

Megan nodded and said softly, “I know.”

“Good,” he smiled. Megan took a deep breath.

“Will you bring him in here?” she asked.

“You sure?” She nodded. “Ok.” He kissed her forehead.

“Love you Alex,” she said sitting up.

“Love you too babe,” he said leaving the room.

“Yo, Zack,” Alex said once he entered the living room. Zack’s head snapped up and looked at Alex.

“She wants to talk.” Kara squeezed Zack’s shoulder. He got up quickly and headed down the hallway. He opened Meg’s door slowly and saw her sitting upright on her bed. She was fiddling with the necklace he gave her then looked up at him.

“Hey,” she said softly giving him a small smile.

“Hey,” he softly said back. He sat in front of her on her bed.

“Zack, I’m sorry—“

“It’s ok. Kara told me.”

“Kara told you what?” she slowly asked.

“She told me you were worried about when you have to leave, and about Eli.” Megan nodded and looked down. Zack reached out and lifted up her chin so that he was looking into her eyes.

“I’m worried about that day too. I can’t even think about you leaving.” Tears formed up in Meg’s eyes. Zack pulled her into his lap and held her tight against his chest. She slipped her eyes closed and a tear fell down her cheek.

“And about Eli,” he gently spoke in he ear. He lifted her face to look at his. “I would never do that to you. I promise.”

Megan wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him close to her. He hugged her back securely. A few silent tears fell onto his shoulder. He pulled his head back to kiss her cheeks and stroked away the tears.

He then rested his forehead against hers. Meg looked at his eyes then glanced at his lips for a split second. Zack kept one arm around her waist while his other hand stroked her hair out of her face. They were only centimeters apart before their lips met.