Chapter 14

Megan stared up at Zack through her eyelashes. She hesitantly opened her mouth then shut it.

No, I am not ok! Every time I look at you I think of a plane and Eli! She wanted to scream out.

“Why are you asking?” she finally let out.

“About Eli. About the night of the party.” She nodded slowly.

“Yea,” she said softly.

“Yea, you’re ok?”

“Sure,” she lied. “I’m ok.”

He gave her a skeptic look but then nodded. “Ok.”

She smiled, “Ok.”

“Oh, and I got you something.” He pulled a small box out his pocket.

“Zack, you really didn’t—“

He laughed and handed it to her. “Just open it.”

She took the box and set her drink on the counter. She ripped the wrapping paper off and opened the box. A wide smile instantly broke out onto her face. She wrapped her arms him and hugged him.

“Do you like it?” he asked in her ear.

“I love it,” she said pulling away and looking down at the necklace. Megan smoothed her thumb over the jade heart then took it out of the box. She clasped the hook around her neck then smiled up at Zack.

“Thank you so much,” she said bringing him back into a hug.

“You’re welcome.” He smiled seeing her true smile again. It seemed like he hadn’t seen it in  a while.

They pulled apart but Zack kept a hand resting on her waist. Megan glanced up and saw he was staring directly into her eyes.

The crowd at the airport flashed into Megan’s head.

He slowly brought his other hand and placed it on her cheek, stroking her skin softly with his thumb.

Eli face’s popped up. All of those nights alone.

He leaned in, she could feel his breath on her face. Her breathing got heavier.

The plane going over the ocean and landing in London.

“Zack…” she whispered and turned her head slightly away. He dropped the hand on her waist back to his side and pulled back slightly, studying her face. She whispered just as softly, if not more, “I’m sorry.”

She quickly moved away from his reach.

“Meg, wait,” Zack said. She rushed out the kitchen and down the hallway.

“Megan?” Kara called after her. Kara looked over at Zack who was coming out of the kitchen then started after Meg. The door to Meg’s room slammed. That didn’t stop Kara from knocking furiously on her door. After she heard Megan mumble something she went in.

All the guys looked over at Zack. He wiped his hands on his face and leaned against the wall.

“What happened?” Rian asked slowly. Zack shook his head and slumped to the floor.