Chapter 23

Not to ruin anything but you guys will probably hate me for this chapter. Hope you won't hate me too much though :)

~~~~

Megan had stayed out for hours, walking around. She stayed at the small park for most of the time, just sitting on the swings. She had almost forgotten about the bonfire until John texted her. She was still a little irritated about what had happened but she was getting over it. She really shouldn’t have been as mad as she was, but the stress of Tony’s surgery coming up, missing home, and just everything else added to her emotions.

When she arrived at the fire everyone was standing and sitting around, talking and eating. She found Zack sitting on a cooler with a cup in his hand and he was staring intently into the fire.

“Hey,” Meg said quietly as she sat down next to him. He simply grunted back. Megan glanced at his cup and saw that it was close to the bottom. She had a feeling that wasn’t his first cup though. He turned his face to hers and she was proven right. She could smell the heavy liquor on his breath.

“Where have you been?”

“Walking around. I needed to think.”

“I’m sure you did,” he muttered.

“What is that supposed to mean?” she asked with a hint of hurt in her voice.

“Whatever you want it too,” he said getting up. Megan got up also and pulled him away from everyone else.

“What is your problem?” she hissed.

“My problem? You’re the one who hasn’t talk to me all day.”

Megan looked down at her feet.

“Is this about that one chick from last night?” he suddenly asked. There was a slight slur to his voice. Megan knew he was drunk and she really didn’t want to argue with him about this, especially not here. She looked up at him with her jaw tight.

“It is!” he exclaimed.

“I don’t want to talk about this here,” Megan said in a stern voice.

“Why not? They’re going to find out about it anyways,” he said waving his hand in the direction of the big group.

“I don’t want to fight with you.”

“I don’t want to fight either but does that mean we aren’t going to? Of course not!” Megan saw a few people glance over at them but she ignored them all.

“Zack, you’re drunk. It’s late. Can we just talk about this tomorrow?”

“No, I want to ask you something first.”

Megan stayed silent and waited.

“What has honestly been going on in your head these last couple of days?” he asked lowly. His eyes pierced into hers and she could feel tears starting to form up. She looked away, not wanting to answer. She was scared about a lot of things. About Tony. About the two of them. About that one girl stealing Zack away.

“I’m scared,” she whispered. “I…want to go home.”

Megan didn’t know what made her say it, but she did. She saw the hurt flash in Zack’s eyes. She suddenly wanted to take it all back.

“Zack, no—“

“If you want to go home so bad then just leave,” he glowered.

Why did she say that?! How could she have said that?! She wanted to be here with Zack, but the look in his eyes wanted her to curl up in a corner and cry.

“Zack I—“

“Save it,” he said slowly shaking his head. “I knew it. You’ve been wanting to leave from the beginning. Well now you can! Just go back home to your stupid brother and leave me alone!”

Megan stood there frozen with her mouth open. Then she turned furious.

“How dare you? Fine! I’m gone. It doesn’t seem like you’re going to miss me much anyhow!”

She turned and took a few steps before spinning back around.

“And Zack?”

“What?” he spat.

 "You can go to hell," she said lowly.

Megan looked at him one last time with tears going down her cheeks. Zack swallowed and stared back at her, trying to keep the tough look on his face. Megan glanced over at everyone, who were silent now. Meg wasn’t sure how long they had been listening in on their fight.

She turned and fumed away, letting the tears roll freely down her cheeks.