Chapter 20

Megan started walking towards the Cobra Starship but ran into VickyT on the way.

“Hey Meg,” she said smiling.

“I need a dress,” Meg said right to the point.

“Zack?”

“Yea.”

“Come with me!” She grabbed Megan’s hand and pulled her to the bus.

***

Megan walked slowly up to the swings in her ballet flats. She saw Zack sitting on one of them looking down while his elbows rested on his knees. She cleared her throat and he looked up.

Zack saw Megan standing in front of him and he was taken back. There was a look of shock and awe on his face.

“What is it?” Megan asked quickly smoothing down the dress. VickyT helped her get ready after choosing a simple black dress.

“You…” He cleared his throat. “You look gorgeous.”

A blush crept onto Megan’s cheeks. “Thank you.”

Zack got up and brought her into his arms. He kissed her forehead then her lips.

“You look very handsome by the way,” she said to him softly. He smiled and took her hand.

“Where are we going?”

“Surprise,” he said with a slight smirk. He lead to where a few trees were. He turned around suddenly and covered Meg’s eyes with his hand.

“Zack,” she laughed. “What’s going on?”

“You’ll see in a minute.”

She let him lead her a few feet before he removed his hands. Megan opened her eyes and saw the blanket. She smiled widely as she took in the little scene he had set up.

“How did you….”

Zack smiled and sat down. “I got a little help.”

She sat down across from him as he gabbed a bottle of wine. He poured two glasses and handed her one.

“Do you like it?” he asked glancing over at her.

“It’s perfect,” she said quietly. She took a drink from her glass and then leaned over to peck Zack on the lips.

***

Megan laughed as Zack murmured into her ear. He played with her fingers as her head rested against the crook of his neck.

“Tonight was amazing, Zack. Thank you.”

“You were the one that made it amazing,” he said kissing her head. She smiled and wrapped her arm around his torso.

“But there’s something else,” Zack said quietly. Megan noticed the hesitation in his voice and sat up slightly to look at him.

“I….”

Why is this so hard?! Zack demanded to himself.

“You what?” Megan asked slowly.

“I love you.”

Megan’s eyes widen only slightly and she gulped.

“Oh,” she stuttered.

“Oh?” Zack repeated. He sighed and sat up. Megan saw the look on his face and quickly recovered from the shock.

“No, no, no. Not like that. Nothing like that,” she rushed out. “It just…took me by surprise is all.”

Zack looked over at her, waiting for her to say something else. Meg moved her hand up behind his neck and began to run her fingers through his hair.

“I love you too Zack,” she whispered.

“Are you sure?” he asked averting his eyes. Meg then moved her hand to his cheek, moving his face to hers.

“Of course I’m sure.”

Zack wrapped her in his arms and kiss her. He kissed her slow and passionately, making the night even more perfect than before.