Chapter 11

Eli shoved his hands in his pockets and leaned against the wall. He watched as Megan talked to Zack and Alex. She shook her head and said something before heading off into the kitchen.

Jeff came up to Eli.

“What was that about? Don’t mess with my friends.”

“Last time I checked I was your friend too,” Eli said bitterly.

“Exactly, so I don’t want two of my friends getting in a fight. Especially not at my other friend’s birthday party!”

“Sorry,” Eli muttered. “That Zack kid’s just driving me insane.”

“What’d he do?”

“You know Megan?”

“Yea, I just met her.”

“We used to date. Now, her and Zack are.”

“Oh,” Jeff elaborately. “So your jealous?”

“No,” Eli snapped. “It just irks me.”

“Dude, you’re so jealous. But I don’t think they’re dating. Zack would have told me.”

“That’s what they told me.”

“Hold on, I’ll ask Rian.” Jeff walked away towards where Rian was talking with his girlfriend.

“Are Megan and Zack dating?”

“No,” Rian replied.

“At least not yet anyways,” Kara added laughing lightly.

“Huh. Thanks.” Rian nodded and Jeff walked back over to Eli. He shook his head.

“He said they weren’t dating yet.”

“Hmm. I’ll be back.”

Megan grabbed a water out of Jack’s fridge. Why did Eli have to be here? Why did things have to be so complicated? Why did she have to like the way Zack’s hand felt in hers? And why was Zack so protective of her towards Eli?

She sat down in a chair that was in the kitchen. She put her elbows on the small kitchen table and put her head in her hands.

“Are you ok?” The voice was a soft British whisper. Megan looked up to see Eli leaning against the wall.

“I thought I told you to go away.”

“Meg, come on. You can’t expect to me to stay away from you when I know you’re not ok.” He came and sat in the chair across from her.

“You have before,” she muttered and fiddle with her fingers.

“That was a long time ago—“

“Three months isn’t that long ago.”

“You know what I meant. I’m different, I wouldn’t do that to you again.”

“How do I know that you’re not just playing me?”

“Trust me,” he said reaching out to hold one of her hands but she pulled them away.

“I can’t do that.”

“Why not?” he demanded.

“Eli, you stood me up multiple times, you talked down to me countless times, you’re a jerk—“

“I meant what I said when I said I’m different now. I woke up after you left me. Please, just give me another chance.”

“No.” She stood and walked towards the door but he grabbed her arm and pulled her back.