Chapter 26

Zack groaned and opened his eyes. His head throbbed and he crossed his arms over his eyes. He slowly stumbled out of the bunk, making sure he didn’t hit his head. There was a small clunk as something fell to the floor. He looked down and tensed up.

He leaned down slowly and grabbed the necklace, tracing the figure with his thumb. All the events that happened last night came back to him.

But why was the necklace here?

Zack clutched it tightly in his hand and ran out of the bus. He ran to the catering tent first. His eyes darted every where, looking for her or somebody else that would know where she was. He didn’t see anyone so he started off in another direction.

“Alex!” he yelled as soon as he saw him.

“What?”

Zack held up the necklace. “Where is she?” he demanded.

“What?” Alex asked with a hint of confusion.

“Where’s Meg?!”

“Oh.” Alex glanced at the necklace then back at Zack, keeping quiet. Zack stared at him as he waited for Alex to say something.

“Dang it Alex! Just answer my question! I need to talk to her. I need apologize about last night. I didn’t mean a thing about what I said.”

“Crap,” he muttered. “She lied to me,” he sighed looking off to the side.

“What?”

“She told me that she said goodbye to you, but she obviously didn’t.”

“Goodbye?”Zack choked out. All the color drained from Zack’s cheeks. Alex nodded.

“Yea. Zack, she went back home.”

Zack let out a gush of air. It felt like someone just punched him in the gut. He wiped his hand on his face and started walking away from Alex.

Meg couldn’t have just left. No. She wouldn’t have. Zack bit his lip and looked down at the necklace in his hand.

He walked in a daze until he reached a secluded place with just some trees. Zack clutched at his hair. He punched at the closet tree next to him and fell to his knees. His hands covered his face as a tear escaped his eyes.

What had he done?