Chapter 10

Zack inhaled deeply then let it out in a gush. He opened his car door and walked around the front of the car. He looked up when he heard a door shut. Megan smiled at him and waved.

“Oh, I was going to knock…You look great.” He smiled. She looked down then smiled up at him.

“Thanks. You look good too.”

“Thanks. Um, we should get going.”

She nodded and started towards his car. He quickly opened the door for her. Once she sat down and he shut the door she took a deep breath. Why couldn’t Alex just have taken her? She was sure that Kara would of understood if they were late and their talk could of waited.

Zack started up the car and pulled out onto the street.

“So,” Zack started slowly.

“So?”

“Do you know why Alex couldn’t take you?”

“Not exactly.” That’s how the rest of the car ride went. Zack would ask her a question but she would only reply in short answers. Zack kept giving her side glances but she would be staring out the window. It was awkward and they both knew it. Zack was completely oblivious as to why, but Megan knew because she was the one causing it.

When they pulled up to Jack’s house, Megan almost jumped out of the car. Zack couldn’t understand what was wrong. She wasn’t acting the same, that’s all he knew. He wanted to ask what was wrong but she was already walking into the house.

“Hey!” Kara said over the music. “Can I talk to you?”

“Yea, Alex said you needed to.”

Kara nodded and lead her into the kitchen where it was quieter.

“Ok, so, what do you think of Zack?”

“What about him? He’s a friend.”

“Just a friend?”

“Why does that seem like that keeps popping up?” Megan groaned mostly to herself.

“So, you don’t like him?”

“I don’t know. He’s a good friend—“

“Hello, my baby! Hello, my honey!” They both looked over at Jack dancing into the kitchen. He brought Megan into a hug. “Hello, my ragtime gal!” he sang.

Megan laughed as they separated. “Happy Birthday.”

“Thanks. So do I get my present now or later?” he winked. Meg scoffed and shoved his shoulder.

“Jack, Megan and I were talking so could you please leave?” Jack’s jaw dropped.

“Fine!” he yelled storming out of the kitchen through the swinging door.

“So, about Zack. He’s a good friend but what?”

She shrugged and looked away. “I just feel like we should only be that. Friends.”

Kara opened her mouth to speak but Alex burst through the swinging door.

“Hey, I heard you girls were in here. Care if I steal Meg?”

“Nope, she’s all yours,” Kara said. Then to Megan she said, “Find me later, we still need to talk.”

She nodded as Alex started pulling her through the door. There was a lot of people that filled the living and dining room.

“Does Jack even know all of these people?”

“Nope. Some of them are friends of friends.” She nodded and they stopped walking when they got to Zack and some guy that Megan didn’t know.