Chapter 10

Mabel was sitting on the living room floor, grooming Waddles with a thin-bristled hairbrush. The brunette's back was turned when Dipper walked over, although she took in a heavy breath when his footsteps echoed through the hall.

"Mabel?" the boy began tentatively, not sure if he should get much closer. Sisters on edge were very unpredictable. "Good morning. Is . . . um . . . How was the sleep-over?"

The girl turned around to meet his gaze, her expression not hostile, to Dipper's relief. "It was fun, bro-bro. Candy and Grenda left earlier today."

"Yeah? Did they?" he responded rather awkwardly. "That's . . . okay, I guess. Good." He was glad he didn't ruin things for them with Bill making them fall asleep and all, but he still felt bad about it. Summer was almost over and soon Mabel wouldn't be able to see her friends as often - perhaps not until they returned to Gravity Falls whenever their parents found it suitable. He had cost his sibling one more opportunity to enjoy her time. Or, half an opportunity, since they'd been doing things for a while.

Mabel perked up just then, releasing her pig to let it scamper about the room. "Whatever, Dipper. I wanna know something, though. How did you escape? We had a plan! And I don't remember talking to Grenda's new boyfriend before we fell asleep. What'd you do?"

"I . . . uh, you . . . Well," the tween coughed, absent-mindedly slipping his hand into his pocket to toy with the tooth Bill gave him.

His twin looked at Dipper suspiciously, her glossed lips pressed together in thought. It was easy to tell when she had an idea, eyes brightening suddenly. "Did you have someone else hypnotize us? Someone magical? I'll bet anything that you did, so there's no use hiding! Who was it?"

Her theory nearly startled him into spilling the beans, but he held back, thinking of any possible explanation other than Bill to fit the description. His sister was just too educated in the town's mysteries to trick with a simple "You were tired." excuse.

"Dipper. Dipper!"

"Fine! I'll tell you," he huffed, throwing up one of his arms to show his exasperation. If he were to keep Bill's secret then he'd have to make up a lie. And fast. "I found a bit of sleeping powder last time we were mystery hunting. I took the last bit of it to keep for emergencies. Thought that if you guys didn't know than I would be able to use it since there wasn't much. Had to . . . um, get out of that room somehow. I hope you don't mind."

She seemed to consider him for a moment. "Maybe, Dipping Sauce . . . Sure. I still think you need romantic advice, though! You're not getting out of that! I will find out who you're crushing on and I will help you get them to agree to a date! Have it on my word as the future president of the USA!" She declared the last part with conviction.

"You do know that being an official congressman doesn't mean you're going to become president, right? Plus, with all the new laws and stuff I don't think anyone out of Gravity Falls will listen to Trembly."

Mabel blew him a raspberry, frowning, "Don't ruin my fresh spirit! I've got a campaign all set up. It'll happen."

"Uh-huh," he responded disbelievingly, glancing back the way he came. "I'm going to go and get something to eat for breakfast. Later, Mabel."

She waved him off and he walked towards the kitchen, feeling accomplished. This lying thing is turning out much better than I expected. I just hope it doesn't backfire on me. Bill had best be glad.

That was good lying there, Pine Tree! Nice job. I know you feel bad, but this is for your new friend. Bill's voice returned as per usual.

Right, Dipper replied halfheartedly, though the mention of their friendship partnered with praise made him puff up slightly. He was prepared to carry out his side of the deal, no matter how many times he had to make up white lies. White lies. Even their newfound companionship wasn't enough for Dipper to risk his family's trust beyond a certain level. It just wouldn't happen. Opening the fridge, the tween grabbed himself a slice of bread and a Pitt Cola, seating himself at the dinner table. He took a bite of the cold toast, not bothering to warm it up. Bill, are you going to leave me for most of the day like you've been doing? I'm surprised you even tried to talk to me before I went to work in the gift shop. Do I need to be doing something else?