Chapter 44

Pine Tree's journey was interesting to watch, even if Bill wasn't with him. Their connection allowed them to stay in contact no matter what. Woah, kid. Your sister went all out with this party!  he joked, sending his love and happiness to the male.

He appreciated the gesture, but the brunet was still caught up in how being trapped in the bubble went to Mabel's head. Well, this is going to be fun, he deadpanned, uncomfortable with the atmosphere despite that his kin had brightened it in her unique knack for social events. They had arrived in a ginormous ballroom, decorated ornately in common birthday banners, streamers and balloons, except with a trillion times more sparkle. Probably edible sparkle. Stickers were stuck on every single piece of confetti on the floor, a constant stream also spilling from the balcony. A table in the shape of a gerbil had a hundred different sweets and pastries on top, a stage set near the back of the dance-floor. A throne, he was guessing, though it was too soft-looking to be an actual one, was in the center of the stage, red carpet rolled down a short staircase and to the foot of the elevator. Mabel was wearing a fluffy hot pink and rainbow sweater-gown, standing in the midst of a group of shirtless or nicely-dressed boys. She caught his gaze, mouth opening insanely wide.

"Your call, dude!" Dippy Fresh encouraged, shoving the original Dipper out of the safety of the elevator and pressing the keypad again. "I've gotta bail!" With that, the doors shut, leaving the twelve year-old to fend for himself. He wasn't so sure Dippy Fresh being gone was a good thing or not.

Mabel immediately crushed him in a hug, having miraculously made it over from the opposite side of the ballroom. "Oh my gosh! Dipper!" she exclaimed, completely engulfing the prince in the embrace. Plus, her outfit was kinda stuffy. The frills were getting in his face.

"G-great to see you, too . . ." he choked weakly, patting her back twice and then trying to pull away. But he couldn't, because she had him in a death-grip. "Um, Mab-mabel?"

She released him after that and he noticed that her peppy, expressive eyes were watery. Guilt stabbed at him for the tenth time that day. "Where's your crazy royal boyfriend?"

It was the dumbest moment to be blushing, but Dipper couldn't help it. He'd never actually thought of Bill as his boyfriend, really. He pictured them as lovers destined for one another, but boyfriends? His cheeks flushed a cherry red at the prospect. Were they boyfriends? Wow. Boyfriends . . . wow. It was like . . . a whole new step of official. He'd never had a boyfriend before. Or a girlfriend, for that matter. But they had plans and a giant king-prince-dom to rule together. It felt slightly out of place. And . . . Focus, Dipper. You did not come here to moon over Bill. Even if they were boyfriends. Maybe. Heck, that would be incredible.

"From your reaction, I'm going to assume that you guys aren't having any romance issues that wise ol' Mabel needs to address," she said, smile hinted with sadness.

"Nah, we're fine in that department," he responded, laughing quietly as he attempted to mollify the shade of his cheeks. "I wanted to come alone so he's waiting in the Fearamid."

"You two kiss a lot? Using tongues yet? Foreign-style?" Mabel asked mischievously, regaining her favorite love of teasing him. "If you haven't, I bet you want to."

"M-mabel!" he gasped, blush returning full-force. "Personal information!"

"Oooooh, yeah, thought so with how often those copies were making out," she snickered, punching his shoulder way too hard and grabbing his hand. "Just messing with you, bro-bro. Come on! I've got lots to show you!"

Boyfriend? Bill's own cheeks were burning. Um, Pine Tree, what's a boyfriend? I've heard that term with human romance before, but like . . . am I being a good 'boyfriend'? He paused, heart racing. Being boyfriends is similar to courting, right? The demon's knowledge on most things romantic were limited; however, he was learning.