Chapter 17

The bright white light only lasted for a few short minutes. All at once, gravity returned, dropping everybody to the ground. The glow from the portal was getting softer. Stan rubbed his eyes and stared at the portal with wide eyes.

A figure was walking out from the center, a wavering silhouette appearing from amidst the rubble. Dipper lifted his head, scooting out from under the weight of his sister. He kept his eyes trained on the newcomer, who was heavily dressed in some sort of combat attire. A gun was strapped to his back.

Mabel sat up beside the tween, her voice shocked. "Who is that guy?"

"The author of the Journals, my brother," Stan answered and slowly stood up to greet his twin. It seemed by the man's appearance that even in the other dimension, thirty years had definitely passed. "Brother!" Stan smiled excitedly, opening his arms for a hug.

His brother proceeded to punch the man in the jaw with a six-fingered hand. That was definitely the author of the Journals. Dipper stood up shakily, eyes darting over to Bill.

"What do you think you're doing?" the real Stanford spat, revealing an irritated strain. He punched his brother again. "That was senseless!"

"Ow! What the heck?" Stan yelled and dodged another one of his punches. The old man swung a few punches of his own. "Don't expect me to go easy on you just because you're family!" he growled out.

Bill watched with his golden eye, taking at glance a Dipper to see if he was alright.

After a moment, Stanford managed to get his brother in a lock-hold, pulling his arms back away from Stan's body. "I may be old, but my skills are fresh! Unlike you, you —"

"Hey! Quit it!" Mabel cried, staggering to her feet. She approached the two. "You shouldn't be hurting each other like this!"

Stan stared at her. "Mabel . . ." he started out. He struggled to get out of Ford's grasp.

"Who is this girl?" the other man questioned, still keeping his brother from moving.

"Mabel and Dipper. Shermy's grandkids. And Soos, my handyman. I don't know who the blond guy is though . . ." Stan introduced everyone, pointing at Dipper at Soos then finally at Bill.

Ford had released Stan by then, stepping around him. "I have a grandniece and grandnephew?" He smiled, a nice contrast to his frown, and held a gloved hand out for Mabel to shake.

She giggled softly, "It's a finger friendlier than normal!"

"She's weird. I like her," the man deducted, walking over to meet Dipper, who had made his way carefully over to Bill.

Soos luckily jumped in his path. "Hey there, dude who looks exactly like Stan. I'm Soos. Oh-ho, you know that. Yeah. What's your name?"

Bill looked at Dipper. Get ready, kid. I'm sure Stanford will recognize me . . . The demon knew he wouldn't be able to escape with a fake identity even if he tried.

He can't. Won't. Not if we leave, Dipper tried, pleading to the dream-demon-turned-human and beckoning him away. You could leave, at least, right?

"I am Stanford Pines. Nice to meet you, Soos," Ford responded.

"But isn't that Stan's name?"

"What? He took my name?" The cloaked male whipped around to face his brother.

Stan grimaced. "I had to . . . the people in the town didn't know me, but they knew you." The old man looked at his brother, hoping they wouldn't fight again. He didn't want to fight his brother anymore.