Chapter 22

It was around two in the morning when Bill stopped the dream, much to Dipper's disappointment, and woke up. It was the perfect time. He had checked right before leaving the mindscape and confirmed that everyone, including Ford, was in deep sleep. Bill looked over at Dipper. Ready?

The brunet had been curled up next to him, enjoying the closeness in reality and in the dreamscape at the same time. But that had to end soon. There was priority. He tilted his head to look at the former triangle, giving a determined smile as he blinked his drowsiness away. Let's do it.

Bill nodded, getting out of the bed quietly to not wake a sleeping Mabel. She must have come back after we fell asleep, he thought. Bill walked to the door, somehow not making much noise at all.

Dipper cast a glance at his sister. Her back was turned away and she had actually slept in their room, but he had a suspicion that she could be frowning. He ignored it, slipping on his shoes to follow Bill out. It didn't matter. We should hurry, Dipper announced, quickly tiptoeing outside the bedroom and starting down the stairs.

Yeah. Bill made his way down the stairs and into the gift shop. He was quiet in typing in the code and opening the vending machine door. In we go. I think I know exactly where the rift is. It should be where I last saw it, but we'll have to find Ford's spaceship key.

Spaceship key. Got it, Dipper nodded, stepping into the elevator. It's at the lowest level, right?

Yeah, Bill nodded and followed him into the elevator. The ride down was quick and the doors opened for them. Bill stepped out, looking around in the dark. Think you can use the fire spell so we can see?

Dipper paused, trying to remember the words to the spell, the feeling of magic pulsating from him to form light. The recipe for fire came easily and he held his arm forth, allowing his lips to move with a purpose and the enchanting language to find hold in reality. But he couldn't be too loud. His voice was barely a whisper, though powerful nonetheless. "Incantare: Templum Incedere." His hand ignited in a brilliant red flame, bright enough to illuminate the area around them. How's that?

Great job, Bill complimented, giving the boy a smile. He started forth, scanning the area with his eyes. Ford dismantled the portal, he noted.

Woah, the boy commented in awe, finding the parts used to be admirably complicated, especially now that he could take a good look at them. Dipper walked along the lab equipment, averting his gaze from the window to look at the command desk. He almost screamed in happiness. It's the Journals! The remaining two! His free hand reached for his vest to pull out the last volume and he set it on the counter. All three of them, right here!

I did tell you he was the Author. Bill wasn't all that surprised as he filled through the desk, looking for the key or the rift. But focus, kid. We came down here with a goal. Stanford must be stopped now that he has the rift.

You're right, he sighed, pulling himself away from the books. He did take back the third one, though, not wanting to give it up just yet. Dipper searched a few other compartments, refilling the fire with more energy every now and then. He didn't find the rift anywhere. His eyes darted to the door. You think it could be in the portal room?

Maybe, Bill frowned, picking up a weird and foreboding sense.I'll go with you. But we need to hurry.

Dipper pushed open the door, stepping into the large center, rubble dusting the ground. It was worse of a mess than the Mystery Shack. I can't believe how much went into building this . . . Not even someone as smart as him could figure it out on his own, huh?