Chapter 29

The next morning was busy for the Pines family. Mabel and Stan were preparing for his election, making it easy for the makeshift couple to slip away. The second their backs were turned and occupied, Bill managed to grab Dipper, sneaking off to the copier room without being noticed.

"Alright," the dream demon started seriously, all business. "Only one copy of me and only one copy of you. That's it. I don't want any clone fighting."

"Me neither. That last time was awful," he agreed, offering to use the machine first.

Setting it up, he lied down, pressing the button. The light scanned his form, down to the barest inch of him. He had changed into his usual tee earlier, not wanting to risk his clone being questioned, casting the invisibility spell on his arm. Hopefully the copy of himself would look the same.

As it printed, the boy hopped off, intently observing his double came to life. Lift a finger out of line and I'll melt you, the brunet threatened silently, ready to use the emergency water bottle in his bag on the floor at any given moment.

"Hello there, real me," the clone smiled harmlessly, stepping out from the paper.

"Hi, fake me," Dipper responded casually, taking a marker from the backpack and drawing a pine tree on the other's hat in black. No one would notice the difference. Probably.

"I prefer to think of myself as . . . Tyrone," the second Dipper replied, tapping his chin. "Nah, that brings back bad memories. Just call me Michael."

"Nope," he shot down, shaking his head. "You're going to fill in for me while I do my thing with Bill. You know the plan." Dipper let go of the spell's hold, watching as his tattoo came into view again. He put the long-sleeve back on in case he happened to pass anyone who knew him. Luckily, his clone didn't pick up that particular trait.

"Fine. I'll be Dipper, then," he gave in, swiveling around to check out the dream demon's progress. "I can't wait to see how crazy hot my Bill's going to be."

Dipper blanched at that. And then flushed afterwards. Apparently humility wasn't one of the things that his clone inherited.

Overhearing them, Bill chuckled, sliding off of the copy machine. He watched as his copy was produced, with a sort of intrigue. They both stared at each other. Original Bill broke into a grin. "Just so we don't get confused, I'm Bill and you're Will."

The clone gaped in protest. "You mean I have to be named after that sorry alternate? He is such a crybaby," he complained, offended.

"Hmm. Fine. You can be Cipher then," Bill shrugged, starting to walk over to the real Dipper. "Alright! We're all set to go."

Cipher nodded and then noticed the Dipper clone. "Great! And that must be my Pine Tree," he smirked and strided over to him, looking pleased.

The Dipper clone snaked his arm around Cipher, grinning as placed a kiss to his tricep. "Yeah, I can totally deal with this. Have fun saving the world. I'll enjoy a couple of hours of no consequences."

The boy was red. I just remembered why I hated clones of me. "Have we thought about any restrictions, Bill?"

"Yeah, yeah. I've got it," the paper Dipper waved him off. "Just don't get wet."

"Mm-hmm . . ." The tween rubbed his eyes, turning around. "W-whatever. Let's go. We need to find a good place to wait."

"I'm guessing I can't destroy things or kill people?" Cipher asked almost pleadingly, looking slightly disappointed. "I really wanted to go get gasoline and a match to —"