7. Goodbyes and Surprises

PLEASE REMEMBER TO VOTE / COMMENT / PROMOTE / FOLLOW !

XOXO,
LOSALINI

•••||||•••

An hour before my check-in time, I'm standing at the reception area, my one suitcase next to me and my carry-on on top of it, waiting.

Fiona looks at me with pity reflected in her warm brown eyes as she sits behind the counter. "He's not coming, my dear," she says as my eyes drift to the grandfather clock on my right.

I don't day a word as my eyes lingers again on the door for the thousandth time in the twenty minutes I've been standing here, rooted to where I stood.

It's not like I was expecting the whole love confession thing or that I'd developed feelings for Will, but I just wanted to say goodbye properly. The one at Starbucks earlier wasn't a good one. Besides, I could definitely see him as a stranger I'd never meet again. Therefore, I wanted to say farewell properly.

"Krystal, honey..." Fiona's worried voice pulls my thoughts away from the door. "You're going to be late for your flight."

I nodded my head. Of course. My flight.

"He is a good person," she continues as I pull the handle out of my suitcase. "He must be tied up with something very important."

I nodded my head. Of course he would be. And why should he rush over to meet someone he just met yesterday?

But he promised...

"It's fine, Fiona," I reassured. "It's nothing big."

"I'm sure he wanted to be here. If you're meant to meet again, you will. Leave it to fate."

Fate? Right. That thing.

My eyes drifted to the door again, hoping he would run in then. But he didnt. "Goodbye then," I said.

She got out of her desk, came around the counter and hugged me, I had to lean down as she squeezed me. "It was a pleasure to have you here, my dear. Take care of yourself."

"Thanks. You too. I'll come by again next time I visit."

She nodded as she released me. "You do that now."

I smiled. In the one day since we met, we had gotten close. But then again, she was easy to get close to.

I then turned to the other welcoming soul in the boarding house. "Goodbye, Ginger," I bent down, patting the small kitten that was now drinking the milk I bought him. "Don't go flirting with all the other guests now, and forget me, right?"

He purred as he rubbed his head against my hand.

I got up and turned to Fiona. "If you, uh.. see Will, please tell him thanks and that I had a great time with him today?"

She nodded, a soft smile on her lips. "I will, dear. Don't worry. Now hurry along before you miss your flight."

I nodded before pulling my suitcase behind me and leaving the board house with a smile.

It was a failed trip well spent. I had experienced New York, had a great time and now my suitcase was packed with souvenirs.

The only regret that hit me as the plane took off was that I didn't say goodbye to Will like I wanted to.

Who knows? Maybe fate will find a way for us to meet again, like Fiona said.

* * *

Nancy waited for me at LAX, with a comforting smile on her face and a sign that read, "Who gives a hey about Gloss mag? Vogue's all the rage!"