23. Athena Burns

FIRST THING FIRST!

BURNED >>>> 1K VOTES YESTERDAY !!!

THANK YOU

PLEASE REMEMBER TO VOTE / COMMENT / FOLLOW

XOXO,
LOSALINI

•••||||•••

According to scientists, one of our universe's most deadliest planet was Venus. Yeah, it might have a pretty name, might be the brightest planet you can spot when you look up into the sky at dawn and you might just wish you could go there one day, but make no mistake, Venus' beauty is only in this case 'name deep'.

When I was in high school, in sophomore year we had to write a five page report study on any planet in the known universe. I chose Venus. I soon learnt that it was not only deadly but dangerous.

The atmosphere was too filled with carbon dioxide that the heat was trapped in the atmosphere, warming the planet to temperatures that would make the national heatwave years back seem like a day in Antarctica. Once you land on the surface you would baked alive, fried to a crisp like bacon.

Why was I even mentioning this?

Well, because right now, as Douglas drove me home, I would rather be on deadly Venus then in his Aston Martin, being driven home.

No one said a word in the first five minutes of the ride and the idiot forgot to turn on the radio before I got on, which left us in awkward silence. And he couldn't very well turn it on now because that would just make things more awkward. I fiddled with the buckle of my bag and just resigned myself to admiring the passing scenery beyond the glass tinted windows as Douglas drove down the highway.

Douglas cleared his throat minutes later when we were just less than ten minutes from home as if he wanted to say something.

I turned to face him, wondering what he was doing.

"I'm...I'm..." He let out a grunt of frustration as he kept his eyes on the road. I noticed his hands tighten around the steering wheel. "I'm sorry." The words hung there in the the tensed atmosphere for a couple of seconds before I finally understood what he was doing.

"Is this an apology?" I asked, my eyes still trained on him.

He nodded. "What I did was wrong. I know that now and I hope you forgive me and we can go back to the way things were."

I sighed. "Okay, fine. But one quick question, were you just being nice to me throughout this entire week because you felt bad for me getting into an accident or was it because of Georgia coming?"

His eyes darted to look at me, his eyebrows furrowed together before they were back on the road. "I was being genuine."

"Why? I'm sorry, but it's scaring me. One second you want me gone then suddenly you're nice. I don't believe it."

He nodded. "I get it. But after your accident I just thought 'she's stuck with me in this whole situation and she doesn't want to be in it as much as I do'. And I just accepted that we'll be together for the entire summer. Why should we live it with all the hatred and distress, right?"

"Riiiiight," I dragged out the words as I tried to understand if he was being genuine or not.

"I'm serious, Krystal," he chuckled lightly. "This is not some modern rendition of Mean Girls or something. I actually want us to start over again, forgetting everything that happened before."