39. A Ghost of a Smile

SNEAK PEEKS FOR FUTURE CHAPTERS WILL BE AVAILABLE ON MY INSTAGRAM AT

http://www.instagram.com/ehl_kayy_writes

***

The all too familiar pain from years again hit me as I stood there, my eyes focused on everything around but at the same time not. I could feel my breathing come out shallow gasps as my lungs attempted to get enough oxygen to keep me from fainting.

I could hear Will conversing on the phone before he hung up before he turned to face me and tried to get me to talk to him. He let out a loud swear before he gripped my shoulders with his hands and tried to shake me out of whatever reverie I had lapsed into.

My mind drifted to Nancy. Nancy who was always there for me. Nancy who took care of me, looked after me and was the only parent figure I had come to know of in the past three years. Nancy who I had fought with yesterday yet had still made sure I had a good hearty breakfast this morning.

I couldn't lose her. I couldn't lose someone else like this. I felt my body closing in on itself, my defense mechanism to keep out the unwanted pain that was rushing through me and I tried desperately to remain on my feet as I tried to process what was important right now.

I heard the all too familiar voice of Dylan Rush drift into my conscious mind but all I could think of was Nancy. I should've talked to her this morning. I should've heard what she had to say. I should've gone out when she called for me before she had left. I should've done a lot of things. Maybe it would have changed everything.

I heard a distinct scuffle and turned around to see Will and Douglas facing one another, Douglas had Will's collar in his hand, pulling him towards him, as they glared at each other.

I couldn't even begin to dwell on what they were saying as I wondered about when Douglas had arrived.

I instinctively tried to get my phone from my pockets to contact Nancy or whoever had her phone right now before I realised I had dropped it and Will had it now.

As I took a cautious step forward, Will and Douglas broke apart and Douglas came rushing forward, his arms reaching out to steady me if I needed it. "Are you okay, Krystal? What happened?" His eyes searched my body for any sign of distress or any injuries. "Did Will do something?"

Before I could shake my head to disagree, Will stepped forward. He cast a dirty look at his cousin before explaining, "That's what I was trying to tell Dylan before you manhandled me. Her aunt's in the hospital right now." Then Will looked at me. "We need to get to LA General now."

"I need my phone," I said after shaking my head in disagreement. "I need to know what happened."

I could feel everyone in the room's eyes on me. Dylan where he stood protectively by the piano, Will who watched me with a form of worry as if he was expecting me to fall at any moment and Douglas, his brows creased together, his eyes gleaned with concern and anxiety.

His eyes watched me minutely, taking in my entire person in one glance before it settled on my face again. At another time I would've been happy with the amount of attention he was paying me right now, but at this moment I was just focused on knowing what happened to Nancy.

"Exactly," Will replied as he handed me my phone. "I already talked to the hospital. They said she had fainted at work and was rushed there. They checked her phone and you were on speed dial so they called you. They said she's still unconscious for now and that she will wake up soon."

I nodded as I stared stony phone again. "Thanks, Will." I turned to face Douglas. "Can I take the day off, my-"

"You don't even need to ask," Douglas cuts me off. "We're all going with you."