S - Small Things

That same night

Niall and Louis were walking down the cool streets of New York when Niall finally decided to speak up.

"So, you'll never guess what I found out yesterday." Niall hummed, as he tried fixing the beanie on top of his head.

"What would that be?" Louis mumbled, eyes still glued to his phone.

That's all he was doing that night. The night that was meant for Niall and him. Louis just stayed on his phone, messaging Zayn and ignoring Niall. Harry was working late, so Niall couldn't exactly give him a taste of his own medicine.

"I'm gonna be going to Ireland for the summer." Niall smiled happily. "I miss it over there so much. Me mum and I couldn't be any more excited."

Louis quickly shut off his phone and stopped in his tracks.

"You're going back to Ireland?" Louis asked surprised.

Niall turned his body so he was in front of his clueless friend. "That's what I said." Niall sighed. "Were you even listening to me at all?"

Before Louis could answer Niall cut him off.

"Of course you weren't." Niall said exasperated. "You had your whole fucking being glued into your phone. If you wanted to be with Zayn, you could've just fucking said so. This makes me feel like complete shit you know." Niall nearly shouted.

"I thought we would finally have a good time together. Since it's been so long."

"Niall pl-" Louis tried, but he got cut off again.

"No Louis." Niall sniffled. "God. We try so hard." He practically cried. "We try so fucking hard to be friends, but I don't know where we went wrong."

"Ni-"

"I'm starting to think it's best if we just...if we just..." Niall couldn't seem to finish his sentence because of all the tears and screams building up in his body.

"Look at me Louis." He cried. "I'm so fucking pathetic. I cry about almost anything. My life is a bipolar mess. I fight with you, Harry, me mum, or anyone and the next second I'm making up with them like nothing happened."

"Niall, you're just going through a phase." Louis tried as he reached out to his hurting best friend.

"Are you kidding me!?" Niall screamed, slapping Louis' hands away as people started to stare. "Louis, just leave me alone." He sighed defeatedly.

"Niall, just stop being so god damn difficult for once." Louis shouted, grabbing Niall by the arm and dragging him to the lighter corner of an ally.

"Please st-" Niall tried, struggling to get out of Louis' grip.

"No. You're gonna listen to me." He growled. "I fucking love you." He screamed, tears rushing down his face.

"Niall I love you." He whimpered out again, leaning his forehead against the blonde's.

"You mean so much to me and I was texting Zayn on how to win you over, but every time he told me to make a move I would back out and just text him again." Louis sighed.