Shattered

*two days later*

It was the middle of the night when I got the call. No one ever expects it. How could you. It was my mother who delivered the news, and of course it was somehow my fault. She didn't say it directly but the accusation was her tone. Andrew was still asleep, I didn't want to wake him so I took my call downstairs. And now I'm torn if I want even a chance to see my dad alive I'd have to catch the next plane heading to the US but I know Andrew really wanted me to stay. I look online at flights and see the next plane leaves in an hour. I quickly get dressed and pack what I need. Before I leave I write a note and leave it on the coffee table for Andrew explaining what happened. I'm running on autopilot and everything is a blur.
By the time I'm on the plane I finally have a moment to process what happened. My father suffered a heart attack and he's most likely brain dead, only the tests will determine if he's not. The words in my mind take my mothers voice, sharp and unforgiving. As I look out over the clouds through the plane window I bite my lip trying not to cry. Where my mother was always cruel my father stood calm and forgiving but he never stood against my mother. She controlled him and he never fought it. Eventually as the bitter memories turn in my head I fall into a pitiful sleep.
A woman wakes me when we reach New York. He's in the hospital newer by and I hail a cab and go strait there, not bothering to find a hotel first. This is more important. I check my phone for the first time and see it's completely dead, great.
When I walk into the hospital I quickly get to the room my father is in. It smells sterile but there's something else, something I don't recognize. The first person I see is my mother her shoulder length blonde hair as neat as ever, her business suit wrinkled, and her makeup only slightly messed up. The only thing that really gives her away is her eyes which still are their slate grey colour but the whites are red and puffy even if she tried to cover it with makeup she couldnt. "You're too late, he's gone." She reaches down cupping his face in her shaking hands as tears flow down her face. "He's gone." I set down my bag gently my phone still clutched in my hand, my knuckles white.
I slowly get closer and stand next to my mother and reach down to grab his hand. I don't feel anything, it's numb like someone just flipped a switch.
"Don't touch him!" My mother yells at me pushing me back and knocking my phone to the ground which shatters on the tile.
"I just want to say goodbye." She looks at me incredulously.
"Haven't you done enough? You've already hurt us enough get out!"
I stand still "GET OUT!" I look at her, and for the first time I see her clearly. She's just broken, she's hurting and she's cornered like an animal.
With this realization I do the only thing I can do, I collect my things and leave the room. Halfway down the hall a heart monitor goes flat and doctors and nurses rush past me. I hear my mother screaming, I don't turn around. I know what's happening. There's nothing I can do.

I managed to find a hotel. I sit in the room and stare at the wall. All my emotions swirl inside me as I get up and walk around the room. My phone is broken so I can't get ahold of Andrew. My father is dead. Everything is just collapsing.
On the table in the room is a vase, it's pretty and delicate and it makes me sick. I pick it up and hold it just staring at it and it's pretty designs. I look out the window and see the sky darkening with an approaching storm. It's odd how it reflects every grind so perfectly. I feel warmth run down my arm. Looking down I see I shattered the vase by crushing the porcelain. Most of it is still held in my hands and I drop the pieces and only what is left in the cuts remains in my hands. I don't feel the pain I just see it. What am I going to do. Just like the vase I finally crack and I just sink to floor.

*andrews point of view*
I wake up to the sound of thunder. The bed next to me is empty. Something wrong I can feel it. I search the house but there's no sign of aria, most of her stuff is here but nothing else. I sit on the couch and lean into my hands. What happened? I look down and see Elwood lying on the floor with ripped paper. "Elwood. Bad dog." Always making a mess. I try calling Aria but all I get is a voicemail. I try again and again but there is nothing.

*three days later*
Three days and still no sign of aria. Suddenly there's a knock on the door. I rush to get it. I open it hoping to see aria.
"Lydia?"
"Long time no see Andrew" she lets herself in making her way to the kitchen finding some drinks and pours them. I watch in silence. She hands one too me.
"What do you want Lydia?" She pouts leaning over the counter, purposefully trying to draw attention to her breasts.
"I want you back Andrew. I want what we had. The love, the sex." She lowers her voice and bites her lips trying to seduce me.
"As I remember you were just jumping from bed to bed." She's trying to get me drunk, but I already am and I miss aria so much. Why did she leave me?
"I've changed. I've gotten...better." I see the double meaning and before I can do anything she kisses me. It's hot and heavy and it tastes like the vodka she poured. As I give in one last thought escapes, Aria forgive me.

End

••• okay so before you get mad at me let me clarify something. I wanted to show Andrew weak and vulnerable, still able to be tempted and not just some perfect figure. And how easy it is too give in when we are the most broken. I will continue this story in book 2. Again I'm sorry don't hate me. But thank you for reading and sticking with this story, it went far beyond what I expected it would and I am sincerely glad you have all enjoyed it as you have. So for the last time in this story, thank you loves••••